Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My 9-month-old is still waking every 2 hours!!! Help...

Default Re: My 9-month-old is still waking every 2 hours!!! Help...

No advice here. My 16 month old is still up A LOT most nights, I would say average of 4xs a night... I blame it on teething, gas, dreams etc... The problem is that I am the paci, which I really am OK with... but still it is hard when you understand that Breastfeeding really is so much more than just "milk". Especially when they creep to wards and past a year.

well, i have finally (at least i think) gotten everyone to sleep. i have sat down twice before this and started to post...only to hear maaaaaa!!!!
    my hubby is becoming frustrated, which in turn is frustrating me. i almost want to tell him to go sleep in my 6 year olds room and the kids and i will stay in our bed. boy he would not like that...lol...this is off the original post, but since our babies are around the same ages, thought i would try here for advice. andrew is working on tooth #7 and thank god, he has yet to bite, although the bottom of my nipple is raw now, it hurts, i can hardly allow him to latch to it. it almost looks like a cut across the bottom of the nipple. i think his bottom teeth may have been scraping it during the nighttime, and i have just noticed. any advice on that? i am scared to not let him nurse on that side (loosing supply or mastitis), but it HURTS!!!! would it be ok for a day or 2? i could always just pump that side-i haven't tried yet so not sure if it will hurt or not! thanks for any advice...hopefully we all get a little sleep soon!!!

ps, dana...
    dh dear or darling husband
    ds dear or darling son
    dd dear or darling daughter

there is a good link posted in a thread somewhere that helps, if i can find it i will send it to you...i still have trouble and may not be correct all the time.
    Last edited by amy; September 19th, 2006 at 10:05 PM.

Dana -- here's the link to the list of abbreviations -- I was pretty lost myself in the beginning: http://lalecheleague.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=807

We bring J. into bed with us sometimes in the early morning for some snuggling (and an extra hour of sleep), but otherwise I'm happy to have him in his crib. It worked very well when he was 4-5 months, when he would sleep 10-11 hours with one wakeup. But now it's brutal. I'm worried that if I take him into bed he'll get used it it and never want to return to his crib....

Amy -- ouch!!! Would lansinoh ointment help, or maybe some A&D? My midwife recommends A&D for almost everything skin related. If it doesn't hurt to pump, maybe you should do that for a couple of days just to let it heal.

Annie

Thumbs up Re: My 9-month-old is still waking every 2 hours!!! Help...

Well, I actually had a 3 1/2 hour stretch of sleep last night! I can't get too excited, though...it's because my lo has a cold and he's not feeling too well. But who knows, maybe he'll surprise me and start doing it more often!

Annie, thanks for the abbreviation link. Now, hopefully, I'll know what people are talking about! I actually love my lo being in bed with me, but it's hard to sleep comfortably. I never slept with my first one...he loved his crib right from the beginning. But you're right, he's definitely getting used to it. That will be another bridge to cross when we get to it.

And Amy...OUCH! I've had the cuts too and they DO hurt! It took me several days for them to heal, though. I did nurse through it and it was torture. I've also had mastitis and that brought me to tears. I'm not an antibiotics kind of person, but let me tell you when my midwives prescribed it, I didn't balk one bit. I couldn't handle the pain. Mine was brought on the same week I introduced food. Anyway, if you don't nurse for 2 days on that side, I don't think it will affect your milk supply, especially if you start up again. I would definitely be using the Lansinoh ointment. I'd also check before you use the A&D if you are going to nurse through it...I don't know if babies can injest that or not. And as far as pumping...I don't know...you're a brave woman to put that thing to your breast while you're in pain. Good luck if you go that route!

Dana. Mommy to Aiden (A for short) 7.22.04 and Owen (O for short) 12.29.05.
    Last edited by DanaMommy; September 20th, 2006 at 09:41 PM.

Hi ladies . . .misery loves company, please let me on board! My love is 9 months old too. He is 22 pounds and we also cosleep. I haven't been on this site for a while because I have started grad school and a new job. I had to step back in (w/ a little hint from my first love (dh) because i always walk away from these chats and reading what everyone else is going through feeling proud, more confident and rejuvinated. My ds was born on 12/19/05 and is also up all night long. I too have become a pacifier. Whomever it was that posted "Breastfeeding is so much more than providing milk - THANKS SO MUCH! I will never, ever forget that, it brings tears to my exhausted eyes as I write. Okay, back on topic. If any of you find anything that works, please let me know! I have tried everything I have heard of in the last six months to try and get him to sleep. My only saving grace is that his teeth haven't come in yet. So I am not enduring what you ladies are right now. I just don't know what to do. I need sleep (don't we all). I need him to sleep so I can study. I need to study before I can take a nap and go to work. I am caught in a viscous cycle. And like everyone else, I keep hearing I should wean, but I can't. I can't stand to let him cio. They have to outgrow this eventually right???? He went from waking every two hours after the first one hour waking, to now he first wakes about 20 minutes after going to sleep, and then every 45 minutes or so. I give him teething tablets, and/or tylenol before nursing to sleep for his teeth, but to no avail!

Okay, I'll stop rambling for now. I just am too tired and guess I need to vent. I don't dare tell anyone how hard this is because I don't want to hear their responses - only you ladies here understand.

Luck and naps to us all! keep us posted

It would be great to hear from some moms who didn't let their lo's cio, and to hear how they got through it! I know the number of Moms who nurse this long start to decrease from the earlier weeks and few months. ___ Horray for us!!! Were still hanging in there!!!!
    Di

against my better judgement...i let dh feed ds a "healthy and hearty" snack before bedtime last night. IT WAS OUR WORST NIGHT EVER-SINCE BIRTH-EVER!!!!!! i say against my better judgement because
    #1 i know that "a baby won't sleep longer if he eats before bed"
    #2 he has reflux, it will upset him more

but, dear mil has reared her ugly head and said he's hungry thats why. i just smile and nod, but dh says, yeah, thats it. so, i can say to him this morning one of two things:
    #1 see i told you so, your mom is always wrong, she doesn't know anything...(lol wouldn't ever dare)
    OR
    #2 maybe the doctors were right, food before bed isn't a good idea with reflux.
    of course we all know what i want to say and what i will say ...lol...
    hopefully today will be a good nap day!

Hello again! Well I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one whos little one would rather play than sleep. Since my last post where I boasted about our wonderful little sleeper he has decided to wake up every hour to two throughout the night!!! Don't know if it is that he has just learned to crawl/clap and all of that fun stuff that he is just too excited to sleep or that his third set of teeth are coming in!!! Hopefully with dh help we can get back on track! Poor little guy is soooo tired. (so is mommy ) I unfortunately am not a stay at home mom and work full time as a nurse, but luckily have a supportive dh but right now ds only wants mommy. Gotta love it! As my dh always says my milk is always ready to go no matter when. Hope we will all see some turn around here soon.

Danamommy: yes my sons name is Aydan, he is going to be nine months on the 8 of october, his name has become so popular lately. I like the way you spell yours!

all rignt girls, this article may or may not help some of us as each baby is different. i read it thru- twice. i tend to think it may be just for babies a little older than ours, but i am going to keep it bookmarked for future reference.
    www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070800.asp

it was from another weaning thread. it has some good pointers, but as i said, i think it may geared for older babies.

good luck and keep coming back for our much needed support.

Okay, here's a little update on my front. The past few nights we've tried the "father nursing" approach recommended by Sears. I decided to try to eliminate one feeding, the most painful one that comes sometime between 1 and 3 am, soon after I go to sleep. I nurse when my son wakes before I go to bed (between 11-12 pm), then at the next wakeup, my partner has been going in to calm him down. The first night he fussed and cried for an hour in my partner's arms, then I came in to rescue. The next few nights were better -- daddy got him relaxed much more quickly, mostly by singing and patting him. One of those nights, after daddy got him back to sleep, he actually slept through until 6:30 am! So I got a glorious long stretch of sleep that night. Last night was a little harder, my partner got him to fall asleep easily in his arms, but everytime he tried to transfer him he work up crying. I finally rescued him (them?) after an hour. (maybe I should have waited a little longer?) Anyway, we're going to keep trying, I'll keep you posted!

I'm not sure how that translates into a co-sleeping situation, but getting daddy more involved seems like a good idea.

Annie

congrats on the night of sleep, annie!! I am soooo jealous. we have been giving more "attention" during the days-i have returned to wearing him in his sling more again (ecspecially during nap times). i guess now that he is mobile, we tend to put him down and let him go, where he and i both "forget" to reconnect and nurse, leading to alot of makeup time at night on his part!!! it is hard on me due to the fact that i just had abdominal surgery less than 2 weeks ago, which is what i am attributing all of this clingyness to-mommy is home (not at work), but she isn't playing/holding me like she usually does...i hope that in a month or two to be able to try the daddy thing like you are-i guess i am the one not ready for that!!! LOL!!! i just really want to get him back in his crib for most of the night, it is right beside our bed, but honestly, i am in sooo much pain that it is so much easier to roll over instead of getting up and picking up andrew (he is HUGE- last month he was 24# and 30 inches! )