Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting started??

Default Getting started??

My baby is 81/2 months old and I plan on BF her until a year, if she still needs it a little bit at night after that I am fine with it she is high needs when it comes to that.
    I am wondering since she does absolutely love BF if there's a smoothe transistion I should start with her. I do still love Bf so I am not saying I want to stop now I just don't want to say at a year old like okay no more Bf for you all done. I know it will probably be hard but I don't want to make it dramatizing.

Default Re: Getting started??

Well, I don't have much experience with weaning a child that age since my son is 2 1/2 and still nursing. But, we have started restricting when we nurse and gently nudging toward weaning. I would think it would be best to approach it very gradually. You will be able to tell if things are moving to quickly by your daughter's response--is she her normal happy self or does she becore more clingy/cranky, etc. I strongly recommend the book A Nursing Mother's Guide to Weaning by Kathleen Huggins. It is split into sections based on the child's age. Is there a particular reason you plan to wean around one year? Many people plan to nurse for a year since that is the AAP recommendation for a minimum. But, many on this forum have found that they don't want to quit at that point--and there's no reason to unless you really want to. Some mothers also start to cut down a bit on nursing after one year but continue with some nursing for many more months or even years.

yes my daughter does get clingy, which I don't mind that's what I am here for and I do plan on nursing for a year I guess I am really concerned about her getting her teeth and biting me!!!!
    She just got her bottom tooth in and so far so good.
    Thanks for the book recommendation I will check that out!!
    I am not good or consistent about pumping either, I don't want to give her formula. I think of formula as a foriegn substace now that she has been breastfeed!!!

I don’t think there is anything *wrong* with weaning at one year. It’s great to make it that far! But, I will say that I first came to this site looking for info on HOW to wean my DD at age one (I had been planning to wean at age one all along) and ended up reconsidering WHETHER I even wanted to wean her (and ended up not). We both still LOVE Bfing and it has so many benefits past age one. Also, she has eight teeth, but biting has never been a problem for us.
    Many moms also cut out pumping after age one and only BF their Los when they are together. If you decide to go ahead and wean, there are many ways to initiate mother-led weaning that should be easier on you both.
    HTH!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Here are some great La Leche League resource links that may be helpful to you:

Weaning How To (LLL)

Would Weaning Make My Life Easier? (LLL)

Also be sure to pick up The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, which dedicates at least one chapter to weaning and the process of weaning, as well as How Weaning Happens, which you can get at your local LLL meeting, usually in the lending library at the meeting.

My experience with baby teeth (bear in mind, all LO's are different though), is that it really made no difference at all in our breastfeeding relationship.

Once LO got old enough to nurse and then want to "play" with momma he'd bite me...out of fun I think...he didn't know any better. I read in a breastfeeding book, to make sure to unlatch them after they're done "eating" when they get to that age, and also, if they bite you during a nursing session, to calmly but firmly unlatch them, and say "no biting". If they haven't finished nursing, you can allow them to nurse again, but if you know they were done, the biting can be the signal that nursing ends when they bite you. They catch on pretty fast to that. But make sure that they don't need anymore breastmilk, you wouldn't want to starve them.

My LO bit me once after he got teeth where it did hurt quite a bit, but I yelped pretty loud, and he started crying hysterically. I think he realized that he had caused me pain, and it scared him, because he never bit me again. But he's a pretty sensitive little kid, he's always concerned about other people and how they feel.

As far as weaning goes, baby-led weaning might be worth looking into since you said you have a needy baby. It might ease the transition. My #1 was pretty attached to momma at age 1, and I would just start to limit his nursing in situations where in was inconvenient, and he had other foods to eat instead...Like when we were out, he understood that he could nurse before we left, and after we got home...(unless it was like all day)...but if he asked to nurse in Walmart, I would usually tell him he could nurse when we got home. After about 12 mos. or 14 mos., I did start to night-wean him though, so the last nursing session was at bedtime, and the next was in the morning. After that, he nursed a few times a day and at bedtime, until he tapered off on his own and nursed the last time a few days before turning 2 yrs. old.