Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pregnant-weaning-painful nipples

Default pregnant-weaning-painful nipples

Hi. I am currently about 3 months pregnant and am in the process of weaning my 2 1/2 year old. She is doing really well and for the last two weeks or so we have only been nursing once a day, first thing in the morning. (Her choice of time of day.) The problem is that the last few days my nipple has been very sore and I don't know what I thought, but it didn't occur to me until today to actually look at the nipple! It is not bleeding, but looks like the skin is broken on the underside and it is kind of yellow looking. Is this an infection that could hurt my daughter? I put some lansinoh on it and it does feel and look much better in the last few hours.

I was wondering, too, if anyone has had trouble with a toddler losing their latch technique during weaning? I'm thinking maybe this is what's happening because I have never had any soreness or cracking before. I think I have dried up, too, and I don't know if this is a factor in soreness/her latch. Anyone have any similar experience?

Default Re: pregnant-weaning-painful nipples

Hi

I didn't attempt to wean my toddler during my pregnancy, so I'm probably not much help in terms of similar experience...

You might consider posting this question in the "pregnant and nursing" forum. You are more likely to find others who have btdt there.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Tiana