Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My 9-month-old is still waking every 2 hours!!! Help...

Default My 9-month-old is still waking every 2 hours!!! Help...

My first son, Aiden, is a 26-month-old, and is a great sleeper. He slept through the night at 9 months old and has never looked back. My second son, Owen, on the other hand, is a horrible sleeper. He is still waking every 2 hours!!! I'm exhausted from chasing a 2-year-old around, let alone not having at least a 3 hour stretch of solid sleep. I'm feeding Owen solid foods 4 times a day. He's a big kid...about 23 pounds. He refuses pacifiers, bottles and sippy cups. If I let him cry it out, he just gets hysterical...and it's too upsetting for me to listen to him get like that. I am co-sleeping with him because I can't physically get out of bed to pick him up...I'm scared I might drop him because I'm so tired! Sometimes when he wakes he nurses like crazy and other times he just wants to be comforted. Is there any way to wean him of these night wakings? I don't know how much more I can take of this. I'll try anything.

Desperate DanaMommy

Default Re: My 9-month-old is still waking every 2 hours!!! Help...

Have you read the book No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley? It has some very good suggestions. I used it with my son when he was around a year. I was not able to get him to sleep through the night, but it did help to space his night feedings out a little more than they had been.

You sound soo tired. I am in the same boat, but without the added stress of having another child to care for! My dd still only sleeps, at the longest for 3 hours at a time, with an occasional 5 hour stretch here and there, but most of the time its every 2 hours. I can't seem to get her to sleep any longer than that. And I can't offer advice, just encouragement.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

andrew sleeps awful at night, i sometimes can get a 2 or 3 hour nap from him during the day, and sometimes if i am the only one home, i will sleep then too!!! forget dishes they will still be there when i wake up, i only get a chance to sleep every now and then. he has typically been going to bed around 10 or 1030, up at 12, up at 2 up at 4 up at 6, up at, oh forget it, it is morning...at least i think those are the times, he is usually latched on ALL NIGHT LONG, and solids, yeah, forget it. he had an animal cookie today, mostly fed to the dogs. i offer foods all day long, he spits at me. sometimes he will eat, yesterday he had avocado (one of the few things he will eat) we are having BIG anemia issues, so i have been trying to get him to eat more, but he wants milkies only...and it is ALL THE TIME. frustration is happening in our home, not by me, my hubby is the one. you know, it isn't their bodies, if we don't complain, why are they? lol i think he wants me to get a little more rest? or he wants something...go figure!!!MEN!!!

I know...the interupted sleep is the worst. I can't seem to even focus on the clock, I'm so tired. My mother keeps telling me to stop nursing him, but I don't want to stop, I just want him to sleep through the night. I love nursing him. I love how he cuddles into my body and how he grabs my shirt...it's so cute. And nursing my lo is a lot different than when I nursed my first son. He just wasn't a great nurser. My lo is very efficient and I guess because of that I'm producing a lot more milk.

And as far as house work...yeah right! I have clean clothes that sit in the laundry basket until the weekend. I do have to say my husband is good about cleaning. He'll get up early and unload the dishwasher, then load the dishwasher with last night's dishes and then vacuum. And if he's home and not on a business trip he'll get my 2 year old out of bed and get him started on breakfast. I honestly don't know what I would do without him, he's such a huge help.

Anyway, I'm going to try the book that llowe has told me about. Hopefully, there will be some little trick I haven't thought of yet. I still welcome any ideas anybody has out there.

Right now my lo is at the very beginning of his first ever cold. His nose is running and he was just real fussy today. So, maybe he'll sleep a little longer tonight. Actually, now that I'm typing this it just reminded me that he got his first 4 teeth. The first 2 came out about 6 weeks ago and the 2nd two just came out last week. That might be contributing to his waking every 2 hours. Now that they've poked through maybe he'll sleep longer??? Wouldn't that be nice if it were that! Let's keep our fingers crossed.

I am a new mom and was going through the same thing. I have read every book on sleep solution out there, my dh jokes that I should write a book about all of the books I have read! My ds is 8 1/2 months and was doing the same thing, up every couple of hours and not that great of a napper during the day. I was frustrated and sleep deprived. I finally realized that he needed to go to bed earlier. I was putting him to sleep between 830-1000 pm but changed that to anywhere between 7 and 8. The closer we can get to 7 the better he sleeps, he even naps a little better during the day, 45-90 mins compared to 30!! The first few nights I woke up expecting him to wake but he didn't. He is now going to sleep at about 7, waking between 2-4 am for a quick feed and then up for the day between 7-8 am. He is sooooo much happier, before this he was not much of a smiler but now he loves to smile and is so much friendlier! Of course some nights are different, teething, crawling all of that good stuff, but for the most part much better. And a bonus my dh and I get about 2 hours to ourselves! Also when I started this I also stayed home with him for three days straight and attempted to get him on a nap schedule. Like I said up for the day about 8 am, nap at 9 am, lunch, play, nap about 1 then bedtime routine and asleep by 730-8. I hope that this helps. Good Luck!

Oh my goodness do we have alot in common!!!!!!!!!! My ds is 9mo and 23 lbs too!!!!!! That is so funny!!! And guess what, we co-sleep and he still nurses like crazy night and day! So we're in it together and I promise you he won't still be nursing like this at 15 The only advice I can give you that has brought me some relief is to offer to nurse him much more during the day. I started nursing my ds like every hr and a half and any time he was interested then I nursed him to sleep and then again when I got into bed and "topping him off" like that seemed to make him sleep longer. I also started asking my husband to pull ds into him at night and the two of them cuddled. This seemed to make him forget about me somewhat. Anyhow, I know what you're going through, it will pass, and he may be having a serious 9mo growth spurt....and I mean one that last's nine months!

no they won't still be nursing like this at 15 (lol) my 6 year old will hardly even cuddle with me, i think i miss that the most...and listen to me complain about missing a few hours of sleep when in a few short years my little baby will be like his big brother, not wanting to be bothered by mama!!!!!

Wow, my 9-month-old is also nursing every two hours at night -- and during the day as well! It's exhausting. We're not co-sleeping -- he used to sleep great in his crib, and generally seems to like it. So that means I'm going in to get him every few hours. Then I nurse him in my really comfortable glider rocker and usually fall asleep BINGO as soon as I get that oxytocin release (he's safely snuggled up to me within the boppy). Often I wake up an hour or so later, get him back to bed, get myself back to bed, only to be woken back up within the hour. Often that means I'm only getting a 2-3 hours of bed time a night.

So...I've been pondering what to other than let him cry it out. I definitely want to start him on an earlier bedtime -- right now he usually goes to bed between 8-9, and I'd like to get him to bed closer to 7 (it's hard, though, with my work schedule). My pediatrician and my sister (who has two breastfed kids) have both recommended night weaning, sending his daddy in to put him back to sleep, so I can get him to sleep for longer stretches. Probably we'll try that this weekend. It will involve some crying I'm sure, but at least his daddy will be with him. Right now whenever my partner goes in to try to calm him back to sleep in the night he arches his back, wrestles like a crazy man and cries out "MAAAAAAAAA...." which of course goes right to my heartstrings over the baby monitor. Generally he's a very happy curious active boy, and I love breastfeeding. I just need to get some sleep!

Good luck -- keep us posted with any developments.

Annie

Okay, first of all is there a place where I can go to figure out what "dh" and "ds" etc mean? I feel funny asking, but I just can't seem to pick up the shorthand. I figured out "lo" is little one! yeah...

aydan2006...is that your son's name? My 2-year-old's name is Aiden. Cool name! That's wonderful your lo is starting to sleep better. I'm glad one of us is getting some solid chunks of sleep!

Just tonight I actually got him down by 7:30. I can't get too excited though, because he already woke up at about 8:30. But I really should cut the kid some slack...he's starting to get a cold. His little nose is all stuffed up. So, it's been hard for him to nurse because he can't breathe. The poor little guy. But this is his first cold, so all those other nights he's had no excuse! lol. It's actually 10:45 right now and he's not up yet...we might be on to something!

A while ago I had started to put him down nice and early, but he wanted nothing to do with it. He just wouldn't fall asleep...and I mean he was up and wanting to play! He wasn't showing any signs of being tired. So, I sort of migrated back to between 8:00 and 8:30. Plus I still have to put my 2-year-old down. He's easier, but he still takes some time...between brushing teeth, bath time, dressing him (oh my goodness what a chore!) and reading a book...it's about 45 minutes. When my husband is home, he can put him down. But when he's on a business trip, which is once a week for usually 2 sometimes 3 nights, I'm hear to handle both. Yikes!

Anyway, crosswalk3 that's funny we are in the same boat. And actually my lo is 8-1/5 months...I just wrote 9 months because is was shorter. His birthday was Dec 29 '06.

Annie, I don't know how you physically can get out of bed so much...wow! Thank goodness you have a comfy glider. I tried getting up and getting him out of his crib, but it was actually hurting me. I was beyond tired! I was truely scared I would drop him, so we're actually in my 2-year-old's big boy room (which he's not in yet)...sleeping in his big boy bed (which is a double bed). One of these days he's going to want to sleep in it and that means something will need to change with the co-sleeping, but for now this is what we're doing.

One more thing...I just have to mention that poor woman on the news who had her newborn kidnapped on the first or second day she got home from the hospital. Did you all hear about her? I think she lives outside of St. Louis...maybe. I don't remember exactly where. My heart goes out to her. I honestly can't imagine...there are truly no words that have enough meaning to express how she must feel right now. Hopefully, everybody will join me in saying a prayer for her and her baby. It makes our problems of waking every two hours to nurse our little ones seem so trivial.

Thanks, Dana