Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Opening Big Mouth

Default Opening Big Mouth

Hello everyone. Our baby boy is almost 2 months old now and I cannot get him to latch on...he was born 3 weeks early and we had to introduce him to the bottle - now he is a bottle baby, even though he does not mind to go to the breast...but he cannot open his mouth wide enough and hence he really hurts my nipples...he also has I guess some overbite, which prevents him from latching on correctly...

On top of that I feel that my mil supply is really going down - before at the very beginning I was able to pump 3-4 oz easily. Now I am lucky if I do that...It is more like 1-2 oz...

I bought "more milk plus" supply but it does not seem to be working all that well...

I think another reason for my lowered milk supply maybe that I used nipple shield for awhile and just recently stopped...and now when I wanted the baby to take it he won't...

I feel that I am failing in every aspect of breastfeeding....I have to give him more and more formula and I so wanted our baby to be exclusively breastfed...

If anyone has any sugegstions that would be great...and yes, I have seen probably 3 or 4 lcs so far....Thanks!

Default Re: Opening Big Mouth

First of all - you are not a failure! You are doing the very best you can and every drop of breastmilk your baby boy receives is formula he didn't receive.
    Some questions...
    What type of pump are you using? How often are you pumping? Are you getting plenty of rest... well as much as possible... and drinking water to fill your thirst and eating well? All contribute to good milk production. Do you keep the pump on long enough to have more than one milk let down?

As a former exclusive pumper, it's alright if the physical nursing doesn't work out, a little more inconvient, but as long as baby gets what he needs you are doing everything right. Keep trying, don't give up. I wish I knew how to help with that latch, but someone else may have some ideas. Keep us posted.

Hi there!

I'm a bit confused by some things in your post. Have you settled on exclusive pumping or are you still trying to get your baby to latch? Has he stopped latching because you don't use the nipple shield any more?

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Now I started taking more milk plus and he seems more intersted in the breast but the problem mostly now is that he does not latch on correctly - he does not open his mouth wide enough and when he does eat he bites...this morning my nipple was bleeding so I could not even continue...I am just hoping that I would be able to latch him on but time goes by and he is almost 2 months old now...

Regarding nipple shiled - yes, I felt that my milk production was going down because of that...

BTW thank you for your support!

Hi there

I'm glad to hear that you seem to be getting more milk. I'd strongly suggest you see someone in person to help you with latch-on. We can give a lot of help here on the forum, but for latch-on help, there's just nothing like having a live person there to help you

In the meantime, you may find this (non-LLL) site helpful. Dr Newman has several videos of babies latching on and techniques to try (I recommend the assymetrical latch):
    http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!