Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: should I toss?

Default should I toss?

Today I set out to the mall with the goal of NIP for the first time. I brought with me a bottle of EBM for backup, although it was not needed. Yeah!! Success with NIP!! However, when I got home and pulled out the EBM there was milk stuff along the top inside of the bottle above the milk line. It looks like a cross between fat that has separated and curdled milk. It smells completely fine and it was only out of the fridge for 3 hours and was pumped two days ago. I did not warm the milk prior to going out. Does anyone know what it might be? I hate to throw away EBM (that bottle is the equivalent of 4 pumping sessions) but I certainly do not want to give dd something that has gone bad.
    Thanks

Default Re: should I toss?

YEAH! NIP way too go! Liberating isn't it? Mine has done that also, when I shake it up it seems to go back to normal? Wait for others to chime in though before you give it to dear child...

Default Re: should I toss?

Completely normal! It's the fats separating and the milk is still fine. Just swirl the bottle to reconstitute it. I've read that you shouldn't shake breastmilk because it breaks down some of the proteins. Not sure if that's true or not...