Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much to pump????

Default How much to pump????

Hi Girls,

My baby has 4 weeks old now and since he wasn't latch on I'm exclusively pumping now. I'm pumping for each feeding (every 3 hours) but I'm just getting 2.5 onces each time, sometimes in the middle of the night I can get 3 onces, but not more than that (in total!, it's not from each breast).

Now I'm afraid about my milk supply... I believe that I need to increase it as seems that he wants more than I'm having now... Any suggestion about schedules to pump or how to increase?

I'm doing every 3 hours and 15 minutes. I'm thinking about doing every 2 hours, at least during the day... But I'm not sure if it's fine or not and if he is getting enough with those 2.5 onces...

Any ideas?

Default Re: How much to pump????

I would say work on getting baby back to the breast mama. He may have had problems latching in the beginning, but those issues are much easier to fix then relegating yourself to your whole nursing relationship exclusively pumping.

Is there an LC that you can go see that can help you with the latch? It might take a little work to get baby back but trust me, it is very worth it. I was forced to EP for about 12 of the 21 months that we BF, and it is not easy.

Here is a link to videos regarding latch, and here is info about getting baby back to the breast.

Good luck mama.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Try pumping every 2 hours during the day instead. Milk supply is usually highest in the morning. Is he sleeping through the night? Maybe add in a pumping session during the night.

You can also try eating oatmeal everyday (some mamas here swear by it) to increase your supply or take herbs such as fenugreek and/or blessed thistle. Make sure to drink lots of water to stay hydrated!

Good luck mama!
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

I would also encourage you to keep working at getting him to nurse. I'm still working with my little girl and she is 12 weeks old. She's made progress but still isn't where she needs to be.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Hi Girls,

I'm trying to put him to really breastfeed but I still working on that without too much progress

And I'm trying to do the pumping every 2 hours, sometimes I can make it sometimes I can't... as I need to be with him, change diapers, feed and then pump again, when I see it's again 3 hours.

This routine is really hard but I'm trying! Sometimes when he is awake I try to put him on the breasts to at least stimulate more milk... and when he wants, but he prefers to sleep!