Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping

Default pumping

Hi. I have question.. I just bought a media "pump in style original". Does anybody have any tips that may helps me get more milk while pumping??

Let me give a little background.. I have the medela harmony pump for the occasional pumping (like to build up reserve) but it seems like lately my dd has been feeding alot and I don't think she is getting that much as it seems like she is always hungry, cranky, and it is stressing out the hubby which in turn is stressing me out..

Is there time of the day where one might just get the best pump and the rest is a dead end?? I got home cleaned up the pump parts to pump and was likely to get only 1/2 oz if that, I had the problem when had the latina plus rental didn't get much out of it, but that was back when she was younger (now 4 mo) and feedings seemed to be better.. I am at my witts end, I feel like a failure since it doesn't seem like she is getting enough to eat.. I don't want to use formula what so ever, that is why I went and bought a daily use pump if I want to cont giving her my millk. My husband would rather I stop bf and go to formula and it is causing many disagreements among us for this difference in opinion/view on how to feed her. So stress is playing part in my supply I am sure!!
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

DD 5 years old , nursed till just shy of 3 yrs old

Smile Re: pumping

I dont have the latest pump in style, I have the occasional one by medela as well, and believe it or not my Avent Isis manual pump works much better!! The suction (without the inner sheild- I cant seem to get it on right or tight around the outer sheild...) of the outer sheild is great. I think the stress and arguments make us produce less milk- you NEED to relax. I must say I went through even worse where I had to give formula since I was so depressed about my LO refusing the breast and screaming for food at the same time...I was only pumping 1/2 oz from each breast and as I was crying and pumping and my DH and mother telling me to just ff for my sanity at the time!! The added stress and disagreeing will definitely take its toll on you---just stay strong and know that there are so many of us out there with low milk issues at certain times and we're up at midnite and 3 am pumping inorder to give our lo's the best!! its sacrifice, but with a little faith and alot of deep breathing its possible!!

Default Re: pumping

Thanks Ema!!

I have the original pump in style.. I am thinking that my breastshield is too small and therefore isn't allowing enough to get pumped.. So am going to try that and see if that makes an improvement.. I have the Harmony Pump by Medela and have had good luck with it (I can get 3.5 to 4.5 oz if pump first thing in morning, not much luck after that though!), I also have the avent on the go and never reached that. I only went and bought the pis bc if need to pump more often then the manual one isn't made for that.. Right now all I can do is see if a bigger shield helps, which I think will actually as it looks like the standard 24mm is just small enough that it impacts it..

Many thanks to everyone who helps with suggestions, I don't know where I'd be without this forum!!

Jen
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

Does anybody know if the softfit breastshields come in a bigger size than the 24mm?
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

First, I'm pretty sure the soft breastshieds do not come in a bigger size, just standard. However, I've tried all of them! The soft ones are no different in my opinion, they do not make it any more comfortable!

Ok, I have the PIS original, I use it daily, 4 or 5 times a day and it works beautifully for me! I have quarter size nipples, which is what Medela recommends the large breastshields for, but they do not work for me. They are too big and no matter what setting I put the pump on, I cannot empty my breasts. So, when the regular size ones start to pinch a little, I put a dab of olive oil on them and it works great. I've been comfortable for the past week with zero problems.

The morning seem to be the best time for milk supply. I even get up in the middle of the night to pump (my LO sleeps through the night) just so I dont have to rush in the mornings. What works best for me is to pump for 30 min each time (if you have the time) even if you think you're done at 20 min. I always get more let downs which I think helps keep my supply up.

When my LO was 2 mo old I started taking the POP birth control pill and it was horrible. I was horribly moody and crabby and (most likely because of my mood) my milk supply dropped! So I stopped taking it and my supply is back to normal and I'm a much happier person (so is my DH!!).

Hope this helps and good luck pumping, it will be worth it everytime you see your LO smile