Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mastitis, antibiotic, and reduced supply???

Default Mastitis, antibiotic, and reduced supply???

I'm posting this on two threads because I'm not sure where it fits...........
    Okay, here's my situation....
    I have a 5-week old. He usually feeds pretty well at the breast, but has been fighting it some in the evenings, especially on the left side. He also does not seem to be satiated after feeding him at the breast and the past few evenings, we've had to give him a bottle of EBM because he's screaming out of hunger. We even broke down and gave him 2 oz. of formula the other night because nothing else was working.
    I feel like my supply was okay up until this past Sunday when I developed mastitis. I went to the doctor on Monday, and she gave me an antibiotic. She said to keep nursing and to make sure to drink lots of water. I can't imagine that the antibiotic would reduce my supply because if it did, it wouldn't make sense for her to perscribe it to me. However, I feel like I have less to give him the past few days, especially in the evening. Maybe a coincidence? The mastitis was pretty mild. I had a fever of 102 for two days, but then it went away. I have 3 more pills of the antibiotic that I have to finish up.
    I've been trying to get the pumping thing down, and have started pumping right after feedings because if I wait, he wants to eat again too soon after, and I don't have enough left to feed him. I used to get 2-3 oz. combined, but all day today I've been lucky to get 1 oz. combined each time I've pumped.
    He weighs 9 lbs. 5 oz. so he should only need 3 oz. of EBM, according to the calculations, but tonight he ate from me for close to 30 minutes and then took 4.5 oz of EBM 30 minutes later!!! I'm confused and a little frustrated..... I'm trying to build up a store for when he goes to the sitter in less than 2 weeks. I do have a bunch, but would like to continue to stock up.
    Could the mastitis and antibiotic have impacted my supply? Maybe it will increase again when I'm done taking the antibiotic? Am I possibly just experiencing a temporary low spell or maybe he's going through a growth spurt?
    I would appreciate any suggestions!!!
    Thanks! This message board has been so helpful so far!

Default Re: Mastitis, antibiotic, and reduced supply???

They do go through a 6 week growth spurt and I know with my DS he goes through every one approx a week earlier. I'd just keep him at the breast and let him eat and eat and eat. That's how your supply is going to increase to meat his needs. As far as I know the ATB does not decrease your milk. My suggestion is to keep him at the breast even if it's every 15-30 min or every hour. We just finished up his 4 mo growth spurt I think and I swear I didn't think I'd ever get him off my boobs. Best of luck. Hope all is well with the mastitis.

Thanks, that's good to know! I'm trying to be patient, but as I'm sure you know, it's not easy when it comes to BFing and worrying that your LO isn't getting enough to eat. Especially since he's my first...
    I'm also concerned because his poopy diapers have decreased. I think it's been over 24 hours since he had one. The two he had yesterday were pretty big, but he's only been wet since then.

BF babies will change their poo habits continuously. They can go up to 7 days without one. This is my first one too so BTDT as far as being a worry wart. This site is wonderful for answering any questions you will have. The first time my DS went 3 days without having a poo I was freaking out. Not to worry. If they do wait the full 7 days, watch out girlfriend, it will be an explosion. Breast milk doesn't have a whole lot of "exta" stuff that isn't digested so it takes longer for the "waste" products to build up. Hang in there mamma. Your little is already blessed with a mommy that will tough it out through the rough times.