Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Almost one week old and pumping exclusively

Default Almost one week old and pumping exclusively

Okay, so we started out BF'ing and all was fine until my milk came in at 3 days and once again I start having OALD. This didn't happen to me with my first one until around 5 weeks into BF'ing the OALD started. Well with DS this time, he was choking and it was just too much. I couldn't stand it anymore. I broke out my new medela pump and started pumping for bottle feedings last night. He was also very colicky like leading up to tonight since we have just been bottle feeding.

DS will be a week old on Monday (10/5). He weighed 8 lbs 6 ounces, so a good size baby and latched on like pro the very first time.

My concern is, should I be doing this and how much should I be getting each time I pump? I am feeding DS 10-12 times a day 2 ounces from a bottle. I am pumping each time after I feed him for the next feeding. I was making 2 - 2 ounce bottles each time I pumped and now the last 2 pumpings I am only getting 2 ounces total. I don't want to lose my supply and my thought is here in a week or two I would start BF'ing exclusive DS again once I think he can handle my OALD.

I am also not opposed to exclusively pumping, because I feel BM is so important. I will have to pump when I go back to work in 3 months anyways.

Anyone out there that has done this and any ideas or thoughts? Am I doing this right?

Default Re: Almost one week old and pumping exclusively

keep offering the breast I'm sure you can coach the baby back..
    Hes very young yet.

this link might help

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

Default Re: Almost one week old and pumping exclusively

Hope your oversupply has evened out. I had that in the beginning to and now am having no problems. Best wishes.