Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Introducing Table Foods

Default Introducing Table Foods

I have a 12 month old daughter. She was actually born 2 months early, but am beginning to introduce her to table food and slowly wean her off baby food. The only table foods she has eaten up to this point are mashed potatos, scrambled eggs, banana slices, and plain noodles. Are there other foods that any of you would suggest introducing now? Also, for snacks she's been eating the cereal puffs, cheerios, and yougurt melts, if there are any others that you could suggest, that would be wonderful. Thanks you again in advance for any help

Default Re: Introducing Table Foods

You could give her cheese, bread, fruits, chicken....all cut in small pieces. I pretty much gave my daughter everything that was already introduced in puree but gave it to her in small finger size.

Mama to

Kaylee born July 5, 2006
    9lbs 4 oz and 20.5 inches
    42 lbs and 41.5 inches at 38 months
    for 12 months

Jacob born April 9, 2009
    8lbs 10oz and 21 inches
    15lbs 7.7oz and 27 inches at 20 weeks
    17lbs 4.5oz and 27.6 inches at 6 months
    19lbs 14oz and 29.3 inches at 9 months
    and

Presently off dairy, soy, wheat, nuts, treenuts, shellfish, eggs, corn, gluten and rice .

Reacting to dairy, soy, wheat, eggs, corn, rice and maybe gluten.

I give dd most fruits (soft or steamed) and veggies along with puffs. I also give her little bits of shredded cheese - she's almost 9 mo and has a good pincher grasp and chews but not well enough for chunks of cheese. Then depending on what we have for dinner I throw her some of that. Like tonight we has chicken pot pie so I gave her some of the peas carrots and potatoes with gravy from my piece and she loved it! If we have pasta I make it a "grabbable" shape and overcook a few pieces for her.
    I'm Melissa, DD (01/12/2009) weaned at a little over 2 1/2 years

Apple slices
    Blueberries
    Artichokes.
    Quesadillas
    Whole Pinto Beans
    String cheese
    Plums
    Pears
    Cucumber spears.
    Broccoli
    Watermelon
    Peaches
    Apricots.
    Spinach
    Shredded Chicken
    Avacado
    Sweet potato fries
    Noodles
    Rice.

Way too lazy for formula

going from purees to whole foods? I would do anything that's soft to start. Once she gets that figured out you can move on to harder foods. Her gums/teeth can handle practically anything you offer, but if she's use to purees she might need to practice chewing softer foods before offering her harder ones. I'd go with soft pieces of foods she can pick up with her fingers. Sweet potato fries are a great example - just chop up a sweet potato into french fry shapes, drizzle with olive oil and bake. Super easy. Very nutritious.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

My little one loves pancakes. I add baby cereal to the mixture, and sometimes bananas...then cut it in bite size pieces for him to feed himself.

Do you all give natural cheeses or the packaged ones? Is deli meat OK for them?

Blanca
    Proud mommy of a 12 year old tween
    and my little Christmas Eve bundle of energy

Update: New baby girl summer 2011!