Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Just stuck

Default Just stuck

This is my first post here and I'm feeling overwhelmed and frustrated. I'm the mom to beautiful b/g twins who were born unexpectedly via emergency c-section at 30 weeks. I was a pumping machine during their six week stay in the NICU. They were fed EBM until two days before their discharge when my milk supply suddenly couldn't keep up with their demand. Now I feel I'm a gerbil going around on those silly wheels.. my milk supply is not even close to keeping up with them. I had to start supplementing out of necessity and now I feel I can't ever go back. I pump about 20-24oz a day and need at least double that. They have been home for 10 weeks and haven't been interested in nursing until recently. I will have them latch on and nurse how long they want too and then supplement after the feeding. We seem to be both frustrated with that.. them with the lack of milk, me with just plain exhaustion.

In a perfect world, my supply would be enough for them. I would love to have that magically happen. I just don't know how long I can keep this up. Any advice??

genki08

I think I'll cross-post this on breastfeeding multiples as well.

Default Re: Just stuck

Hi mama. Congratulations on your babies and !

While I don't have twins, I did have a preemie, and I know that it just takes time for preemies to get the hang of things. Add in any ventilators, ng tubes, bottles in the hospital.....all of it seems overwhelming but it can be done.

So they are just now starting to nurse? Do you have access to a scale that you can weigh them before and after feedings to see exactly how much they are getting? That was the HARDEST part for me once my son got the hang of nursing was being afraid that he was getting enough. If you are able to weight them to see, that will give you a more clear idea of how much you need to increase.

Another thing that helped us so much was kangaroo care. I just had him on my chest morning noon and night. We took baths together, I carried him in a sling when I needed to be up and about. That closeness will not only help your body produce milk, but let them know where the good stuff is.

And remember, pumping isn't a good indication of your supply. You are pumping about 20-24 oz a day now, but that doesn't mean that is what you are actually producing or what babies are getting. And the fussiness could be completely unrelated to supply as well. So right now their adjusted age is about 6 weeks or so? It could be a growth spurt. And they are just feeding feeding feeding to get your supply to boost again.

I know it is hard mama. But I also know that you can do this. Your body can do this and your babies can do this. try and see if you can get to see an LC that can help you weigh them, or rent a scale, that will give you a more clear picture of exactly where you are at. You're doing a great job mama!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I'm having a similar problem. My daughter was 31 weeks and I was keeping up with her at first, but now I'm having to supplement more and more. It is so tiring to nurse, bottle feed, and then pump.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tfoxx0419 View Post
    I'm having a similar problem. My daughter was 31 weeks and I was keeping up with her at first, but now I'm having to supplement more and more. It is so tiring to nurse, bottle feed, and then pump.
    How old is your LO now? Are you home?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Thanks for the replies! I was at a low point when I posted this. (I'm sure no one here has ever felt that way!!) Bottom line, I'm doing what I can. I'll nurse them when they want too, still pump when I can and use the formula to supplement. Any breast milk they get is great!

How are things now? Better now that they are a bit older?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Just want to add a you mama are wonderful... you are not giving up, and even if you think you are just giving them a little bit, you are giving them a lot!!!! its hard to keep up, I didnt have twins just one preemie, and it was a lot... Keep up the good work mama!!

Live one day at the time....