Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Legitimate reason to start solids early?

Default Legitimate reason to start solids early?

Is it always best to wait until 6 months until introducing solids? I know it's not necessary to give baby anything other than breastmilk until then but I am wondering because my baby is poor at milk removal. My LC said when she gets the hang of solids might be when I can give up pumping and just let her nurse for her (currently gets 10-11 oz/day right from me and then the rest is pumped and bottled).

That makes it tempting to me to want to introduce solids a little early. However, if it is not best for her then I truly don't mind keeping at this another few months. She's only almost 12 weeks now so it's a ways off in any case but I am just thinking. Any thoughts or advice?

Default Re: Legitimate reason to start solids early?

with the PP. If you want to slack off on the pumping, I'd supplement with formula, not solids, since you're really supposed to wait until 6 months for solids. Breastmilk (or formula) has the right proportions of fats, sugars, and proteins for optimal growth. Solids just aren't as balanced, so getting the baby everything she needs by feeding solids is a really hard task.

I know it's tempting to stop pumping at this point- I know I would be tempted!!!- but I can think of 3 reasons to keep soldiering on:
    1. Your baby may just "get it" one day and decide to nurse exclusively, no bottles necessary. If that day comes, having an adequate milk supply will make things easier!
    2. Your baby's health. Breast is best, right?
    3. Your health. Making milk is good for you too- faster weight loss, less breast cancer, less heart disease, etc.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

with pp. Also, keep in mind that solids do not replace bfing. Solids really don't have "nutritional value" until LO is about 1 yr. old (sometimes before depending on the situation). Even when solids are introduced, they are meant to be given on top of bfing, not in place of.
    If solids are introduced before LO's digestive system is ready (@ about 6 months old), they are more at risk of developing food allergies. There's a really good article on kellymom.com called "Why delay solids" that explains a lot. I decided to wait until DD is 6 months, she's 19 weeks right now. It really is healthier for BOTH of you to continue bfing if possible.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

I was definitely not meaning to start solids now but I know some people say that it is OK to start anywhere from 4-6 months.

I've thought of the "she might get it any day" idea quite a bit and it's one thing that has kept me going thus far. We're still working at it and I don't want to quit bf-ing.

I don't want her to have food allergies. I doubt I had solids before 6 mos and still have a few allergies myself (tree nuts, peanuts).

I think the hardest thing about pumping is that it ties me down to being at home every 3 hrs at the most but I guess I also figure the hardest 12 weeks are behind us so things will keep getting better.

I'd say that if you have a nut allergy then it would most definitely be better for your little one to keep getting just breast milk for as long as possible! As you know, she'll be at a higher risk of developing food allergies (not just nuts, any food) since you have them, and exclusive breastfeeding has protective qualities against allergies/asthma/etc.

Here's an informative link about delaying solids - http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html

Delaying solids decreases the risk of food allergies.
    It is well documented that prolonged exclusive breastfeeding results in a lower incidence of food allergies (see Allergy References and Risks of Artificial Feeding). From birth until somewhere between four and six months of age, babies possess what is often referred to as an "open gut." This means that the spaces between the cells of the small intestines will readily allow intact macromolecules, including whole proteins and pathogens, to pass directly into the bloodstream.This is great for your breastfed baby as it allows beneficial antibodies in breastmilk to pass more directly into baby's bloodstream, but it also means that large proteins from other foods (which may predispose baby to allergies) and disease-causing pathogens can pass right through, too. During baby's first 4-6 months, while the gut is still "open," antibodies (sIgA) from breastmilk coat baby's digestive tract and provide passive immunity, reducing the likelihood of illness and allergic reactions before gut closure occurs. Baby starts producing these antibodies on his own at around 6 months, and gut closure should have occurred by this time also.
    You're doing great!
    Last edited by @llli*sentimental.geek; October 10th, 2009 at 04:34 AM.
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystine View Post
    I was definitely not meaning to start solids now but I know some people say that it is OK to start anywhere from 4-6 months.
    Good job! I thought you meant you DID want to start solids.

I've thought of the "she might get it any day" idea quite a bit and it's one thing that has kept me going thus far. We're still working at it and I don't want to quit bf-ing.
    Good for you mama! I know you can do it.

I don't want her to have food allergies. I doubt I had solids before 6 mos and still have a few allergies myself (tree nuts, peanuts).

I think the hardest thing about pumping is that it ties me down to being at home every 3 hrs at the most but I guess I also figure the hardest 12 weeks are behind us so things will keep getting better.
    Good way of looking at it! Once LOs start solids we're going to miss the close contact
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

thank you for the link sentimental geek. I've never read that clear of an explanation before on the link between allergies and early solids.

juliet -yes, as much as I want to be done pumping I really do enjoy nursing when it goes well or is relaxing to my baby even if she only gets a couple of ounces.

Thanks again. Hopefully soon I'll have a post on here saying she's doing better with nursing but if not, we'll hang in there.