Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OT - Is this wrong of me to do??

Default OT - Is this wrong of me to do??

I live on a bottom floor apartment. When we moved in here, I didn't think of the noise when it came to DS's room. Because we're in the front, there is a large grassy area outside of the bedroom windows. Dog owners walk their dogs there and children play there. The dog owners allow their dogs to bark without yelling at them OR they SCREAM at their dogs to shut up. The kids wouldn't be an issue except that the few kids that play there daily are LOUD. They scream and yell the whole time they are out there, which can be for 3-4 hours at a time. Several times now, they have woken my DS up with their screaming. I am contemplating putting a big sign in the window (this would block out light too, another plus!) that says something along the lines of 'Baby Sleeping -- Please be quiet!'.

I understand that kids need to play but these kids are unsupervised for hours a day while they play. There is no parent to tell them not to scream so loud and remind them that people DO live behind these windows here. The dog owners, well... I've contacted the management office about that and unless I can prove who's dog it is and where they live, they won't do anything. We're talking about possibly moving up a floor when our lease is up in January. I know that won't solve it but at least our windows wouldn't be groud level.

Is the sign wrong of me to do? Don't I have some right to some peace and quiet? Or am I setting myself up for trouble if I do that?

WWYD?

Thanks for letting me vent! TIA for the advice!

Default Re: OT - Is this wrong of me to do??

A sign might not work for the kids...They might not be able to read yet.
    My hubby puts foil on the windows when he is working 3rd and trying to sleep during the day.
    Have you tried running a fan? That works in the summer time for us.

The kids are older, 6-10.

DS has a stero in his room and we play ocean waves fairly loud (as loud as we can for it to be comforting for him and not hurt his ears) but the kids screaming still comes through loud and clear. The issue is because they are litterally standing right outside his window when they scream and play. There is no distance (like, we're not higher than them or lower than them).

Light isn't so much of an issue. He has a black curtain in his room to help with the light. Some light still comes through but it's much better than no curtain or a light curtain.

I feel bad... I just had to go outside and ask the girls to play elsewhere because they woke him up... But... Why are the parents not outside to remind them that people do live here?! What kinda parent lets their child run around alone outside in an apartment complex? Sorry if I offend anyone who does this but outside of being too loud outside someone's window, I worry that one of them will get hurt or hit by a car. They run out into the street all the time when they play tag and such!

I hope I don't sound stuck up or something... I expect some noise... But not excessive screaming right outside my son's room!

Thanks!
    Last edited by Mama2Caleb2006; September 16th, 2006 at 05:36 PM.

I think i'd be pretty mad too if we had that problem. The kids are probably just not thinking about anyone else - go out there and remind them that your baby is sleeping like you did already!
    We have problems with boyracers and their noisy cars as DS's room is by the road. I'd like to puncture their tyres as they drive past...
    I think it would be fine to try using a sign on the window. There's no other option for his bedroom?

Nope, no other option. It's only a 2 bedroom apartment and our room is right next to his.

I understand the kids not thinking but where on earth are their parents?? The parents should be out there to remind their kids. Plus they should be out there anyway before one of the kids gets hurt or hit by a car.

Thanks ladies!

I know what you mean, they are way too young to be playing outside by themselves.
    I feel the same way about all the teenagers who hang around at night making a racket! They should be tucked up in their beds a home, nice and safe. Most of them are 14 & 15 year olds as well! They're just a nusance. They wake DS up some nights...

UGH! I have this issue in our subdivision. The neighbor kids think it's hilarious to ring our doorbell and then run off. Normally not an issue but...we've got a 100 pound dog that takes off barking like mad and bounces off the window (right next to the front door) any time it happens. This ALWAYS wakes up DD. I finally put up a sign in the window and then also have talked to some of the kids and even their parents. I simply won't tolerate them waking DD all the time when I work so hard to get her to nap.

Sorry, not working on relacting or anything like that but I saw your post and had to chime in!!
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

hey i agree. go ahead and put the sign up. its not hurting anyone and who knows maybe it will help. as far as the parents go... that drives me crazy too. my mother is like that... with her FOSTER KIDS!!! that is one reason DS wont be with her once he is like a year old... he will be in a daycare right next to where i work. she lets a one year old and a four year old play in the front yard... although now that one of the kids fathers is back on drugs and knows where we live she takes a chair out asits with them MOST OF THE TIME!!!!oh it drives me crazy. i try to be out with them if i know they are alone because so many times i either see the four year old by the road (and squatting which scares me even more because she is so petite that no one would see her if they were driving...) or i see them BOTH heading for the road. i rush over pick the one year old up and and take the four year old by the hand. i usually put them behind the fence and say if you want to play outside and the grown ups are busy you need to stay in here. but does that stop them... no they just go over my head and ask my mother...