Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lumpy boobs after pumping?

Default Lumpy boobs after pumping?

I am a surrogate mum and started electric b/pumping colostrum before she was born. I continued to pump since she was born 4 days ago and my milk came in yesterday I pumped every 2 to 3 hours to make my supply and have been getting plenty, 60mls the very 1st pump and then 30mls each time but my boobs still feel quite lumpy afterwards even though they seem to have emptied. I do massage them a little before pumping and pump for at least 20 mins etc, is it ok to still have them lumpy and maybe still milk in them?
    Thanks
    Tina
    x

Default Re: Lumpy boobs after pumping?

oh yeah your very early in the pumping game.
    What is your goal with pumping?

Postpartum, it's normal to experience some engorgement as your milk supply gets established. At first, your body doesn't know if it's feeding 1 baby or 10, so tends to overproduce, just to be sure that there's enough milk. Eventually, your body gets the message to make only as much milk as is requested of it, without a lot of extra left over to make you feel "full" and lumpy.

If you feel like you are producing enough now, then there's no need to completely drain the breast. In fact, doing so will only prolong the overproduction situation.

If you want to produce more, then you should try to empty the breast more thoroughly.

The only things you should watch out for are plugged ducts and mastitis, which are pretty common when you are just starting to breastfeed/pump.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    oh yeah your very early in the pumping game.
    What is your goal with pumping?
    Thanks for your advice and I'll take a look at the link for mastitis and blocked ducts for future use, thank-you

My goal is to feed my surro babe my milk, my couple who have the baby only live an hour away so I can transport the milk to them and they can come collect too. I intend helping them out with booby milk for around 4 weeks so she at least gets a good start in life and by pumping and donating my milk to her I feel somewhat still connected
    Thanks
    Tina
    x
    Proud mum to 3 of my own -nanna to 1
    Proud Traditional surrogate mum to 4
    Newest addition - surro babe 4 - Anna-maria born 5th Oct 2009

That's a beautiful gift!

Has the mom considered nursing the baby? Many moms do (or at least try) adoptive nursing. It is possible for a mom who has not been pregnant to breastfeed- and since you're supplying milk for a month, the mom would have time to try and get a supply going.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Hi,
    The couple are a male same sexed couple so mom can't pump no! I will ensure I do my best for the little princess anyway though, thank-you

I've also managed 5 x 15 minute pumps up to yet and managed to get out 315mls, which i am thinking is pretty good for day 2 of milk in, is it? About 60ml each pump!
    Tina
    x
    Last edited by @llli*gracelouise; October 9th, 2009 at 12:32 PM.
    Proud mum to 3 of my own -nanna to 1
    Proud Traditional surrogate mum to 4
    Newest addition - surro babe 4 - Anna-maria born 5th Oct 2009

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*gracelouise View Post
    The couple are a male same sexed couple so mom can't pump no!
    I hadn't considered that possibility! Suggest it anyway- it would be good for a laugh, right?

Bless your heart.
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'