Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weight gain (or lack thereof)...is this normal?

Default Weight gain (or lack thereof)...is this normal?

At C's 12 month checkup he weighed 22 pounds 2 ounces. He is almost 15 months right now and I had to take him in today to get checked for a possible ear infection and he weighed 22 pounds 1 ounce.

Is it normal for him not to have gained any weight in nearly three months? He is kind of going through a nursing strike right now, but he eats solids like a champ and he is having plenty of wet and dirty diapers. I asked his pediatrician about it and she didn't seem to be concerned, but I still am worrying a bit.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe he is just burning a bunch of extra calories than normal because he is walking and trying to run all over the place now. He seriously never stops moving and he is constantly going up and down our stairs. (You would think that I would be 95 pounds after chasing him around the house all day, but nooooo... )

Do babies stop gaining as much weight once they hit the year old mark?

Default Re: Weight gain (or lack thereof)...is this normal?

This happened with DS. Even though he eats all day, his weight gain stopped for a while when he first started walking (at 15 months). Its picked up again now at 18 months. They gain alot the first year, but the 2nd year the weight gain slows down alot and they gain in height instead. As long as he's eating great and is active, really there's not much else you an do.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Same thing with my DD. At 11ish months she was just over 20 pounds, and at her check up at 14 months she only weighed in at barely 21 pounds. They said it's nothing to worry about, she's just a busy girl running around playing lots! Is he still growing taller? I think they'd only be concerned if he wasn't putting on weight AND not growing taller.
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*monika.h View Post
    This happened with DS. Even though he eats all day, his weight gain stopped for a while when he first started walking (at 15 months). Its picked up again now at 18 months. They gain alot the first year, but the 2nd year the weight gain slows down alot and they gain in height instead. As long as he's eating great and is active, really there's not much else you an do.

DS slowed down quite a bit once he started walking (also a 15 mos). his weight gain has actually hit a plateau in the past few months but he is definitely getting taller!

as long as your LO is eating well, his output looks good, and he is meetig his milestones, i wouldn't be too concerned.
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

SURPRISE!!! We caught the first PP egg and are currently baking baby BOY #4! Due to arrive late-Jan/early-Feb

yup I bet he got taller over that time.

DS was 23 lbs at his one year checkup. At his two year he was.........23 lbs. He grew taller but didn't gain. He is a SUPER active kid, and my Dr wasn't concerned.

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

I took my DD at 12 and 15 months - she only gained maybe a few ounces btw. I just took her at 16 months and she gained a little over 1 lb!!

Oh and i forgot to add btw 12 & 15 mo she grew a few inches!!
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sentimental.geek View Post
    Is he still growing taller? I think they'd only be concerned if he wasn't putting on weight AND not growing taller.

Once a kid is mobile, it's totally normal for weight gain to slow way down or stop, and I don't think it's uncommon for it to reverse. I know that after 12 months, my kid really paused in the weight department. She continued to grow taller, however, so by age 2 my chubby little baby had turned into a tall, lean toddler with visible abs.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"