Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ear infection in a breastfed baby

Default Ear infection in a breastfed baby

Hi there,

My dd is 14 mos. and after having a bad cold appears to have an ear infection. I really don't want to give her antibiotics, any advice? I am shocked as I thought she would be healthy since she has been breastfed and takes probiotics daily!

Default Re: Ear infection in a breastfed baby

Hi mama. Here is some really good info about treating ear infections without antibiotics. Which is actually what the AAP is recommending now, but it looks like it is taking docs a little while to get the drift. Hope your LO feels better soon.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Hi Mama. Sorry your baby is sick! Unfortunately, even breastfed babies get ear infections- they just tend to get fewer than their formula-fed peers.

Have you been in to see the doctor, to confirm the ear infection diagnosis, and evaluate the severity? Most ear infections are viral and resolve without antibiotics, but if the ear infection is really severe and seems to be bacterial, antibiotics may be warranted.

You might also want to try garlic oil in the ear- I can't vouch for it myself but I have heard people swear by it for treating ear infections, though it apparently makes the baby smell like an Italian restaurant!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi Mama. Sorry your baby is sick! Unfortunately, even breastfed babies get ear infections- they just tend to get fewer than their formula-fed peers.

Have you been in to see the doctor, to confirm the ear infection diagnosis, and evaluate the severity? Most ear infections are viral and resolve without antibiotics, but if the ear infection is really severe and seems to be bacterial, antibiotics may be warranted.

You might also want to try garlic oil in the ear- I can't vouch for it myself but I have heard people swear by it for treating ear infections, though it apparently makes the baby smell like an Italian restaurant![/

Sorry for the

Carry-on.....

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008

My breastfed daughter has been getting ear infections since she was 6 months old. I didn't know any alternatives to anitbiotics at the time but I happened to be taking my daughter to the chiropractor at the time for something unrelated. She told me that ear infections are commonly treated by antibiotics. We have been seeing the chiriopractor for them since. Everytime she gets one we go and she gets an adjustment. I was very sceptical at first but it's not an adjustment like an adult gets its basically some poking (takes less than 5 minutes). It causes zero pain.

Unfortunately, nursing does not mean a child will be ear infection free for life. My 10month old has had 5 infections to date. His brothers ... None. The ped explained that anatomy can predispose some kids to infections even in the face of doing everything right, like nursing. Allergies may have a role too.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

DS #1 (adopted, FF) gets ear infections that are tough to get rid of. The last one took 2 rounds of 2 different abx and the EI caused him a lot of pain.

DS #2 (born, BF still) gets ear inf. that are gone just like that after one round of mild abx. I think EIs happen in some kids regardless, but in many cases, in BF babies, are much less severe.
    ---Josie

Proud mommy of 2 boys and a baby girl!

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

DS Ian, DOB 8/6/8 via C-sec., 9 lb!
    BF for 22 mo.

DD born via vbac 11/25/11!

Default ear infection- bite marks!

Thank you all so much for your suggestions and support!

After reading Dr. Sears website ( EXCELLENT ARTICLE on Ear pain/infection and tips to naturally cure it), I decided to hold off on the antibiotics. I have been giving my dd probiotics and homeopathic remedies such as - R1 by Dr. Reckeweg and garlic and olive oil ear drops.

Since my dd has been more sensitive these days I have been doubling the quantity of breastmilk I give her. The fever is now lowgrade 100- 101 however she is not sleeping much.

My next question is .... I have noticed that she is now leaving teeth marks on my breasts. Is that common, or have we become lazy at our positioning?

Thanks!

Not trying to knock the natural remedies for ear infections, by all means try them first to see if your LO can get some relief that way. However, PLEASE make sure you stay on top of the infection and don't let it go on for too long. My 2 year old DD (who BF for 19.5 months) also had LOTS of ear infections (she would get one nearly every time she got a cold), and the infections only stopped this past April when she got ear tubes placed in her ears. If you let an ear infection go on for too long, the ear drum can burst from the pressure of the fluid behind it, and if that happens too many times your LO can end up with permanent hearing loss. Just something to keep in mind as you monitor your DD's infection.

Also, I have never had an ear infection as an adult, but I have a friend who DOES get them, and they are VERY painful, which could be why your DD isn't sleeping well at night. I know when my DD had ear infections, she would usually act just fine during the day, but at night her sleep would be disturbed. I always assumed it was because laying down caused more pressure in the ears?

ETA: And to answer your question about leaving teeth marks on your breast... Here are my thoughts... it is possible that the sucking action during nursing hurts your DD's ears while they are infected, and she has changed her latching position to try and compensate for the pain, thus leaving the teeth marks.
    Last edited by @llli*buff24; October 13th, 2009 at 01:59 PM.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*buff24 View Post
    And to answer your question about leaving teeth marks on your breast... Here are my thoughts... it is possible that the sucking action during nursing hurts your DD's ears while they are infected, and she has changed her latching position to try and compensate for the pain, thus leaving the teeth marks.
    Every time L catches a cold and therefore an ear infection, he leaves marks just like this.

I meant to come back and post the other day. . .. there's a good podcast available for free regarding ear infections on iTunes by the House Call Doctor that I found very interesting.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!