Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Accidentally DD2 ate strawberries!! I NEED ADVICE PLEASE

Default Re: Accidentally DD2 ate strawberries!! I NEED ADVICE PLEASE

She'll probably be fine. The thought process is that if the baby is older and they have a reaction, that they'll be able to deal with it better. But the early introduction won't "cause" a reaction. Does that make sense?

I made the mistake at 10 months that I introduced raspberries. She had blueberries without an issue, so I figured I'd put raspberries in her yogurt to try it out. I later realized that raspberries are in the same league as strawberries. It was my fault for not thinking.

The good news is that she was fine. No problems at all.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Anaphalaxis, if it's going to occur will happen pretty quick.

Also - the recommended food 'timeline' I thought the AAP did away with recently?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thanks all for your replies!

It's been 6 hours or more since the incident and she's fine

Thanks so much for your support!!

The AAP changed their formal stance on food introductions in January of 2008. The guidelines are now to breastfeed exclusively until 4-6 months and then any food is game, including high allergen foods. There has been no proven link between delaying certain types of food and avoidance of allergy.

The thought still makes me nervous, but those are the new guidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    She'll probably be fine. The thought process is that if the baby is older and they have a reaction, that they'll be able to deal with it better. But the early introduction won't "cause" a reaction. Does that make sense?

I made the mistake at 10 months that I introduced raspberries. She had blueberries without an issue, so I figured I'd put raspberries in her yogurt to try it out. I later realized that raspberries are in the same league as strawberries. It was my fault for not thinking.

The good news is that she was fine. No problems at all.
    If its any consolation, both of mine had strawberries at an early age--like 9 months, and both LOVED them. I really only shied away from nuts, and the reasons weren't allergenic. I figured that the rate of childhood allergies has increased and we never used to delay any kind of solids, so I wasn't too concerned with the AAP recommendation to delay.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I talked to my PED about this and he told me that the only reason these guidelines are there is because as soon as one baby has a reaction, it sends a panic through the mothering community. With my son, at 6 months, he told me he could have a porterhouse as long as it was ground up enough...LOL. If there is going to be a serious reaction, your child will have one whether he/she is 6 months or 6 years. My son was eating avocado, strawberries, citrus...at the age of 5 months...peanut butter before a year. I think the paranoia will just get worse and worse as time goes on. As long as your LO did not have an immediate reaction that warranted emergency care, then I wouldn't worry too much. Here is what I am wondering...did she love them?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shannon75 View Post
    The AAP changed their formal stance on food introductions in January of 2008. The guidelines are now to breastfeed exclusively until 4-6 months and then any food is game, including high allergen foods.
    even honey?

dd has been getting mixed berries (including strawberries) in her baby smoothies since she was about 10 mos. she loves them.
    the best food blog you aren't reading

i'm beth, mama to:

lila, 11/6/08, nursed until 2yrs 10 mos, weaned during pregnancy

-and-

max, 2/16/12, my huge new little nursling

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marinaew View Post
    even honey?

dd has been getting mixed berries (including strawberries) in her baby smoothies since she was about 10 mos. she loves them.
    No, not honey. That is because of botulism.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shannon75 View Post
    No, not honey. That is because of botulism.
    right. And they not one is changing their stance on chokables
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.