Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accidentally DD2 ate strawberries!! I NEED ADVICE PLEASE

Default Accidentally DD2 ate strawberries!! I NEED ADVICE PLEASE

The nanny gave DD2, 9 mo, strawberries today. It's my fault for assuming she knew, I should have told her but now I'm a bit concerned.

If she had an allergic reaction, when should I expect that to happen? Right now she seems fine, but I'm concerned she might have swelling of the throat in the middle of the night and I won't notice while I'm asleep

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

TIA

Default Re: Accidentally DD2 ate strawberries!! I NEED ADVICE PLEASE

do you know if she is allergic?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I'd just watch her and see. I know they don't recommend introducing berries until after the first birthday, but a lot of people don't go by this. Actually here in the UK strawberries are included in a lot of the first stage baby foods, which did shock me at first! The thinking is that if a baby is going to have an allergy, they're going to have an allergy no matter when it's introduced. You have to do what you feel comfortable with, but there is not a prevalent strawberry allergy epidemic in England.

Try not to worry too much, just keep a good eye on her and make sure she's ok. You'll know if something seems wrong.

MTA: This is assuming you don't *know* she has a strawberry allergy. If she does, then I'm sure others will chime in with what to watch for!
    Last edited by @llli*sentimental.geek; October 8th, 2009 at 01:35 PM.
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

What time is it where you are? How long ago did she eat the berries? Have there been reactions before?

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

First of all thanks a lot for the quick reply!!

No, I'm not aware of her being allergic, but I was following the North-american guideline and got scared. She never had a reaction to anything but again, she's only 9mo and she only had a few things here and there.

Right now it's 3:46 pm and she ate them within the hour. So it's not that I'm going to go to bed right now but she is going to take a nap soon.

if its the 1st time its highly unlikely that something bad would happen.

this link has good info at the bottom of what to watch for
    http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVAugSep97p75.html

I'm betting she will be fine.

IME if she hasn't reacted by now then she probably won't have a severe reaction like throat closing.

Just watch her closely and see if she starts breaking out in hives or has any mucosy poops.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Thanks a lot. I'm just a bit anxious cause she's taking a nap right now and I'm leaving her with DH (I have to take DD1 to swimming lessons) I guess as Amy said, if she didn't react yet, she'll be fine. But I'm still anxious

Thanks all very much!

I'm sure if nothing has happened yet, it won't. Allergic reactions rarely happen on the first contact of the allergen, and they are usually mild-moderate to begin with. And I recently read that there has been no known link between delaying allergenic food and a reduction in the allergy anyway.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amy.marie View Post
    IME if she hasn't reacted by now then she probably won't have a severe reaction like throat closing.

Just watch her closely and see if she starts breaking out in hives or has any mucosy poops.
    Agreed.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!