Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need some advice!

Default Need some advice!

Feel a bit silly posting this to be honest, but hopefully can find some answers! Even if they're not what I want to hear!

My son is 4 1/2 months old, after having him I was quite ill, needed blood transfusions and couldn't even get up for nearly a week along with other problems...didn't start making any milk for a week, although did try to breastfeed as soon as he was born. He has to be given formula in the end. Since then, he would just never latch. Occasionally he would, but he learnt there was no food there.

I regret not trying harder oncemy milk did come in, but I found itvery distressing as he got so upset. Felt like I couldn't provide for my son, it was supposed to be natural etc.

I expressed for about 2 months, but only ever made a few ounces a day.

Anyway! Went to a mum and baby group today, and once again felt awful for not being able to breastfeed, and just out of curiousity when I came home I had a look to see if there was any milk...and a tiny amount came out!

Is it too late to try? Lots of people seem to stop around this point, and I want to start! Would there be any point in it now? Would it even have any benefits at such a late point? Even if I could express to make at least a bottle or two up, it would mean a lot! Just wondering if it's even worth it?

Any advice would be really apprecitated! thank you!

Default Re: Need some advice!

Hi Mama! Sorry you had such a rough start. But it's not too late- not only can you relactate, but you have a terrific reason to do so, since breastmilk confers plenty of benefits (both immunological and nutritional) to an older baby.

Getting your milk supply restarted:
    - See a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC. Nothing beats hands-on help!
    - Go to a LLL meeting. You'll get lots of emotional support, and maybe some useful help.
    - Pump frequently with the best pump you can afford. I suggest getting a hospital-grade rental pump, and pumping for 10 minutes per side every 2 hours during the day and (if you can stand to do it) every 3 hours at night.
    - Herbs. Fenugreek, Blessed Thistle, and ordinary oatmeal are all good for supply. (Your LC can help with dosages.)
    - Drugs. Reglan (available in the US) and Domperidone (Canada) are both anti-nausea drugs which can increase milk supply as a side-effect. Both have additional side-effects and are not for every woman, so discuss these drugs with your ob or midwife before taking either one.

Useful link on getting baby to take the breast: Help- my baby won't nurse!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you so much!

Unfortunately where I live, I don't think there is a lactation consultant...but there are support groups for bf mothers...so maybe someone there will have a bit of advice (there's a midwife there who helps with problems etc.)

I already have a manual pump, so wil use that for the time being and look into getting a better one!

With the herbs...are they easily accessable? Do they just sell them in a health store?

So glad I found this place - really thought it would be impossible, but hopefully not! Not had time to read the forum much, will look now, but are there mothers who have had success??

Thanks again!

Unfortunately where I live, I don't think there is a lactation consultant...but there are support groups for bf mothers...so maybe someone there will have a bit of advice (there's a midwife there who helps with problems etc.)
    I hope you get the help you need!

I already have a manual pump, so wil use that for the time being and look into getting a better one!
    Definitely look into the better pump. Manual pumps are really best for a mom with an established milk supply who needs to pump an occasional bottle. They are not great for increasing or even maintaining supply. That's not to say "don't use the pump you have," rather it's to say "get a better pump ASAP!"

With the herbs...are they easily accessable? Do they just sell them in a health store?
    Yes, many health food stores carry them. You can also find them online.

are there mothers who have had success??
    Yes, definitely! My mom relactated for my sister after 3 months off from nursing, and went on to nurse her for another year.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"