Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Road Trip

Default Road Trip

Hello All,

We are heading out for our second road trip tomorrow and I wanted to ask for some advise on feeding while traveling. Our LO is 3 months this weekend and can go from breast to bottle quite easily.
    My questions are...
    1. Should I give her a bottle while in her car seat? (Rest stops are sometimes very far apart and it's not safe to pull to the side otherwise on the highway we will be on.)
    2. How can I heat the milk? Or can my partner give it to her cold (or room temp.)?

I can still feed her from the breast if we stop but I will be driving the whole trip so it would be a nice break.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

PS.
    I really enjoy reading everyone's experiences and advise. Even though I don't post questions often I learn so much from all the wonderful people. Thank you.
    mamma to Chloe, July 10, 2009 and we

Default Re: Road Trip

Unless you are doing hands-free pumping while you are driving, I'm not sure giving a bottle between stops is a great idea, since you would otherwise be missing a feeding. At best you could become uncomfortably full; at worst it could impact your supply some or lead to a plugged duct (depends how sensitive your body is to such things).

From personal experience and the experience of many moms in my LLL Group over the years, when traveling with babies and young children, it seems to work best to plan to stop about every two hours (maybe three if the baby is napping). Yes, it will make the trip longer, but you will all be in a better mood when you arrive! The stops don't have to be long-- sometimes 15 to 20 minutes is enough to use the bathroom, change a diaper, nurse a baby briefly and stretch your legs a bit. If you are the only driver, then stretching and walking may be especially important to keep you alert. Obviously you will want to fit in some longer stops too. Even if rest stops are spaced far apart, just stopping at a town along the road/highway for a few minutes can help. Maybe you nurse your baby in the car instead of under a shady tree, but it will still help maintain your milk supply and keep your baby content.

For toddlers and young children, we found that brief active games helped run off some pent-up energy during our stops ("Let's see how fast you can run between that tree and the garbage can. I'll time you.") We also brought along a Frisbee or some balls to catch and kick and run with.

You don't mention how long the road trip is, but for everyone's general comfort fairly frequent stops are a good idea. Have a safe and fun trip!

Default Re: Road Trip

Thanks for the advise. I have been packing through the day and all the while thinking that a bottle will just be too much work. And I won't be able to pump on the road. So, the boob wins!! (usually does!)

The trip is only about 4-6 hours depending on how fast we get through the city to the highway.

Thanks again btw.
    mamma to Chloe, July 10, 2009 and we