Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Returning To Work..

Default Returning To Work..

Can I go back to my regular bras or do I still need to wear my nursing bras? Also, is pumping once or twice a day while at work enough to keep up my supply?

Not at work yet, but have been pumping at least once a day and also some times at 3am when painfully engorged and can't sleep. Baby is starting to sleep for 4 to 5 hours before first feeding at night and then every two hours after that til morning. Is this going to be enough pumping when back at work?

Thanks.

Default Re: Returning To Work..

I am away from DS 8hrs/dy, 4dys/wk. I pump 2X while at work. I also block feed DS at night and pump the "unused" breast b/f going to work. In total I am able to pump 15-18oz each day which has been more than enough for DS so far.

As for the bras, sometime I wear mr nursing bras to work, sometimes I don't. It is easier if you do (don't have to unhook) but let's face it, depending on your outfit, a nursing bra may not be all that flattering. I would suggest staying away from underwire though.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

I wear my nursing bras to work. I don't have a lot of time to pump and the quicker I can "whip it out" the better. I also don't have to change when I get home or if I feed my DS at g'mas when I pick him up, I'm already dressed for the occasion. Good for you planning to keep nursing after returning to work. A good freezer stash will help you feel better about your return. I pump twice a day at work and once in the morning before I leave and I'm actually putting milk into the freezer by the end of the week. Good luck to you.

I am away from my dd for about 10 hours 4x/week. I pump every three hours. I also block feed, so in the morning I wake up an hour before my family and pump, then right before I leave, I nurse my dd. I also always have plenty for the freezer. Once you are able to figure out how much you lo eats during the day, it will be easier for you to see how much you need to pump. When I first went to work, my dd was eating every 2 hours, so I pumped every two. She still does this with my mom, but my milk supply increased and I am able to produce what she needs without the every two hour schedule.

I find it easier to take off my bra to pump at work, but time isn't a factor where I am. I use one of those halter tops that hold the breast flanges in place while I work. I haven't had any issues except that my left breast tends to get a small lump at the end of the day, so I nurse dd on that side first when I get home and massage it out.

Hope that helps.

I have to say that I haven't worn a nursing bra in 3 months (my daughter is 5 months old). I never found them to be comfortable or easy to nurse with, especially in public. I found some great wireless bras (and lightly padded so I didn't need to use breast pads anymore) that I just lift up to nurse or pump. Much easier for me and much more flattering for the new gravity induced breasts!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. My supply has increased and I like the idea of knowing that it can be done.

The nanny started today (thought it best to get her used to someone else before I go back to work in three weeks). She is crying like crazy. Poor thing thinks I abandoned her! I'm crying, total wreck right now.

Any ideas on what would be the best way to get her used to someone else?

You can try starting slowly with the new person, and letting her sit with you while you talk to and interact with the new person. That way, she'll pick up good vibes from you, and feel better about the whole situation. So will you!
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Quote Originally Posted by LLLShannon
    You can try starting slowly with the new person, and letting her sit with you while you talk to and interact with the new person. That way, she'll pick up good vibes from you, and feel better about the whole situation. So will you!
    Great idea. Thank you.