Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling sad about starting solids

Default Feeling sad about starting solids

Hi I'm kinds new to posting here, but I lurk a lot

My sweet son will be 6 months old on the 25th of this month. We've had our battles, but nursing is going beautifully and I'm proud to say that I've been EBF him the whole time.

I get sad when I think about starting solids. Kinda like I'm being "replaced" I know he has to dabble in them sometime, but it just seems like we finally got this BF down to an art and I'm going to be done soon.

It's just something I have to get over I guess. DH wants to feed him so bad (although he watches him while I work and gives him bottles of EBM).

Any advise on how I can do both in order to make it to the year goal breastfeeding and solids. What can I expect?

TIA
    Jess

Default Re: Feeling sad about starting solids

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jayenbe View Post
    I get sad when I think about starting solids. Kinda like I'm being "replaced" I know he has to dabble in them sometime, but it just seems like we finally got this BF down to an art and I'm going to be done soon.
    Oh mama! Nursing doesn't have to be over soon. I felt the same way as you when my son started solids, but you know what, he loves the boobs! He only dabbled in solids up until recently (he's two), always preferring mommy milk to anything else. And he only recently got more into eating solids because I'm pregnant, and the milk supply has gone down. I'm sure your LO will be enjoying nursing for a long time to come.

Solids won't be replacing BFing yet. Breastmilk should still be the main part of his diet until a year old. Solids will just be for fun and experimenting until then.
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

Just wanted to send you some hugs! I have already started worrying about this too! My LO has 5 weeks to go before 6 mos and I'm not sure I'm gonna start him then either!
    Just wanted you to know you are not alone with this feeling. But I know my LO and Yours will be BFing for a long time to come because if your BF relationship is great it's because you BOTH are enjoying it. He won't reject you mama. No way.

Oh and no more lurking! Keep on coming back!
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ethans-mommy View Post
    Solids won't be replacing BFing yet. Breastmilk should still be the main part of his diet until a year old. Solids will just be for fun and experimenting until then.
    And as fun as solids are, they're still not mamma!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

I feel the same way. DD just turned 6 mos and I started solids. But I only feed them AFTER she has nursed. I only do it once a day and I follow her cues. As soon as it seems she is not enjoying the experience anymore I stop offering the food.

I just hope and pray that she is like some of the babies here and wants to continue nursing well past the 1 year mark. I wil be so thrilled if we can nurse wuntil at least 2!

Also try to keep in mind that nursing is more then just about supplying nutrition. So event hough they wil be getting some food from other then us, they will still want to come back to nurse for the connection with mom!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

We're about 3 weeks ahead of you, and I too was afraid of loosing that connection w/ her, but in reality that did not happen at all. She loves to eat, but loves mama milk even more I give her 2tbsp of food 1-2/day and about 1hr after she's had her milk, so it's never a replacement but rather an addition. I too only feed her till she shows signs of either being full or bored. It's been fun, so no worries that you'll be replaced!

Thanks for all the encouragement!! I can't help but worry. It doesn't seem like he comfort nurses any more. Even during the night, he'll nurse until he's not hungry then he's done with me. I can offer, and he'll scream and turn away if he's not hungry.

LOL I worry too much

Jessica - Loving Mom to Corbin. Proud to be and and since April 25, 2009.

Aww my DS just started solids at 7 1/2 months he is now 8 months old...I was so scared to start him due to not assimilating them well when the pediatrician told me to start and i've held off til recently...I was so sad because I didnt want to give up my BF relationship or slow it down but so nice to say It Hasnt...I nurse before i give him solids and then give him whatever little bit of solids he wants but i always offer Boobie first and he loves his Tily milk so I'm hoping we can go on for as long as he wants definitely one year then as long as he wants after...I will continue to do it this way because he gets his milky first...So dont look at solids as the end of your breastfeeding relationship its acutally nice to see Baby likes his Tily milk more than food, it makes me Happy!
    hugs!!!!
    MOMMY OF 5 WONDERFUL BABIES
    NATALIE 10/3/88
    JESS 3/17/93
    JOSH 3/23/96
    ABBIE 7/7/97
    BABY GABRIEL 2/3/09
    LIL GABRIEL'S ALWAYS MILKING THE
    AND LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT!
    AND IF I'M HERE... I'M PROBABLY OR

Don't worry too much. Most babies don't even eat many solids at first. And there is no rule that you must introduce solids at 6 months. My dd was not interested until almost a year and she is just fine.
    ~ Theresa
    wife to Mike and mommy to Clara (9-5-08) 2 years and going strong!!