Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ready or not?

Default Ready or not?

DS just turned 5 months and I think he MAY be showing signs of being ready for solids, but it's hard for me to tell.

Things that make me think he's ready:
    -He can sit up unsupported
    -He always tries to grab what I'm eating out of my hands and put it in his mouth.
    -Watches intently at meals (I sit him in his high chair while I eat with DH so he gets to understand mealtime)

Things that make me think he's not ready:
    -He makes sour faces at rice cereal (I think it may be the spoon because even without food on the spoon he makes faces)
    -He has a tendency to throw up some of the cereal after about an hour or so. Could it just be the cereal??
    -He doesn't have the pincer grasp all the way mastered yet. I notice him experimenting with that though.

I don't want to rush him into anything. On top of that, it just makes me realize that one day he'll no longer BF . Any help would be great- Thanks!

Jenn

Married to my best friend - Feb '07
    Mommy to Gavin - May '09
    Mommy to Adrian - Jan '12
    with a surprise baby April '13

Being a SAHM is not for the faint of heart!

8May09: 7lbs 1.9oz
    12Jan12: 7lbs 8oz

Default Re: Ready or not?

Hmmm... to me it sounds like he's not quite ready yet. The general recommendation these days is to wait until they are 6 months old, or when they are developmentally ready. Mastering the pincer grasp is one of those developmental things that indicate readiness for solids.

As for rice cereal, I plan to skip it entirely with my next child. There really isn't that much nutritional value to it, and it doesn't give your LO the opportunity to self-feed and regulate exactly how much food he's taking in, which could be the reason why he's throwing up the rice cereal after his meal, because he ate too much?

If you really think your LO might be ready, why don't you try something he can self-feed, like bananas or avocado? You can cut them in strips that he can practice picking up and work on that pincer grasp.

And I know what you mean about realizing someday they won't BF, but that will hopefully be a long time off... that is another reason to take it very slow with introducing solids. Your baby's primary source of nutrition for his first year is your milk, and solids are really just for fun, so keep your focus on nursing.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Well, we gave bananas a try and he loved it! I cut it up and let him feed himself, which got a little difficult after a minute when the banana got all smushy but I think between the texture and taste he had a great time.

He successfully got the banana to his mouth a few times and gummed it up and swallowed, but a lot of the time he kept smiling so big the banana would pop out of his mouth. It was sooo cute! So I think we've got a thumbs up now.

Does anyone have any advice on sippy cups? I'm not trying to start those yet, but I kinda would like to hear some experiences of how to start, what to try, etc. I like being prepared before the time comes.

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to weaning at all. Maybe later, but definitely not any time soon! I love sharing that time with him and I'd rather just let him wean himself whenever he's ready. But, that's awhile off, so I'll just have to see what happens.

Jenn

Married to my best friend - Feb '07
    Mommy to Gavin - May '09
    Mommy to Adrian - Jan '12
    with a surprise baby April '13

Being a SAHM is not for the faint of heart!

8May09: 7lbs 1.9oz
    12Jan12: 7lbs 8oz

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*littlemommy1 View Post
    Does anyone have any advice on sippy cups? I'm not trying to start those yet, but I kinda would like to hear some experiences of how to start, what to try, etc. I like being prepared before the time comes.
    I did read (on kellymom.com, babycenter.com or askdrsears.com ) that it's not a good idea to give breastmilk/formula in a sippie cup because they'll get used to it being easier than bfing. That's if you still want to continue bfing. DD is almost 5 months (but I'm holding off starting solids until 6 months) but I have given her a sippie cup with about 2-3 tablespoons of water (or you can use diluted juices) at dinner time. It recommended 1-2 tablespoons, but I added a little to allow for spills She doesn't even drink much out of it, but it also makes it easier for her to get to without having to tilt her head back or recline. Regardless, it recommended only giving sippie cup during a meal so that they learn to associate it with mealtime and as a "food" item. This way they don't want it all day for chewing, comfort, to sleep, etc. Remember, right now it's just for PRACTICE, not for nutritional value.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned as of 7/19/13
    Dealt with recurring clogged ducts, mastitis, OALD/OS, and baby reflux with both girls
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...