Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Refusing Vegetables

Default Refusing Vegetables

Hi ladies...new here...and really struggling with the solids...my guy will be 1 in 2 weeks and he does eat some solids and feeds himself, but not well...but he refuses vegetables. I have offered everything, cooked in vegetable broth, marinara sauce, and he won't eat any. I am getting concerned that he will be unhealthy due to not having veggies in his diet...he even refused any jarred vegetables...I am starting to get to the end of my rope...and I don't mind nursing so much even though he is older...we nurse 8-10 times a day...but no matter how much we nurse he never seems satisfied...and my breasts are never never full...

any advice to get him to eat? I just keep offering but it has literally been months and he is still refusing...

thx in advance

Default Re: Refusing Vegetables

Could you perhaps try "hiding" the veggies by blending them in a sauce (for example, pasta sauce if he likes eating pasta)? Does he like fruits? Maybe try blending some veggies into a smoothie?
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

Finely shredded veggies are easy to hide. There are also recipes out there that use pureed veggies. And pot pies are an awesome way to make veggies appealing - that gravy!
    I'm Melissa, DD (01/12/2009) weaned at a little over 2 1/2 years

My son never, to my knowledge, ate any vegetable of any kind until he was over two years old. In fact, he didn't really even eat solids until he was about two. He is still a light eater and a heavy nurser, but he also now eats vegetables. It wasn't because of anything I did, so far as I can tell. I just kept offering, in a lot of different forms, without expectation that he would eat them, and eventually, he did. One thing that may have helped is V8 juice. That was the first vegetable matter that he consumed, and he still loves it. It is available organic now, fyi, and there are also lots of different brands available. (It's also pretty easy to make veggie juice at home.)

I would just suggest that you continue to offer veggies in various forms, eat lots of them yourself, experiment with textures (some kids won't eat them soft, but can't eat them lightly cooked or raw until they have enough teeth -- that seemed also to be at play with my son) and try not to worry too much about it. Vegetables alone will not make or break a nursing toddlers health...
    Mama to Lorenzo, born 4/25/2007. NICU graduate, Gastro-Esohapgeal Reflux, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder...alive and thriving thanks to breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
    Chinese Proverb

Continue to offer veggies, but I wouldn't worry too much. Does he eat fruit? I know my daughter isn't a big veggie eater, but she eats a ton of fruit. Plus the fact that he is still nursing means that he is getting lots of good stuff from you. At this point your breasts will probably not feel full unless you go much longer than usual without nursing. That is normal, your supply is so well regulated at this point that you basically only produce what he needs.

I know lots of mamas here have luck slipping veggies in with smoothies.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

thank you so so much ladies...great advice...I will let you know how it works out...and as soon as I posted about him not eating, he ate 2 green beans last night...which is huge! you are awesome!