Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Finger Foods Question

Default Finger Foods Question

My LO is 8 1/2 months old. He is not really into solids yet but he really likes slices of pear and apple to suck on. He has his first front two teeth in and he likes to gnaw on the pear and apple slices.

Sometimes he ends up biting off a little piece and I am scared it might make him choke. How do you know what size to make the finger foods and how soft they should be so they won't choke?

And should I keep letting him gnaw on pear slices, what if he chokes on the little pieces he bites off?

Default Re: Finger Foods Question

Not to nag but is there anyone out there who knows how to introduce fingerfoods in a safe way so they don't choke.

I don't mean to sound like a dummy but I am just at a complete loss about fingerfoods. How do I know he can eat them?

I give DD anything that is soft enough to either sort of dissolve in her mouth, or that is easily mashed against the roof of her mouth with her tongue. If it mashes that way, it will also mash when she chews with her gums.

Tonight for dinner she had shredded cheese, peas and spiral pasta (I cut them in half for her) and puffs.

When I eat an apple I sometimes let her have it when I'm done and she sucks on it and scraps a little off with her bottom teeth. She only has those so I know she won't bite a chunk off and the scraps are kinda like applesauce so I figure why not?
    I'm Melissa, DD (01/12/2009) weaned at a little over 2 1/2 years

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Ilane View Post
    Not to nag...
    Don't worry- you're not nagging! We all need to "bump" our questions once in a while.

If you have any doubts about the size of the food you're offering, it doesn't hurt to go smaller. I think that, in general, if the solid in question is reduced to the size of a pea, is so squishy that it can't form a coherent lump (think mashed potatoes), or is long but very soft and stringy (like shredded boiled chicken), you can't go wrong.

Start small, and observe. Eventually you'll get a feel for what your child can handle.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"