Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad idea?

Default Bad idea?

Things are not going well. Do you think it's a step back to encourage Laith to take bottles at night instead of the boob?
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Default Re: Bad idea?

Yes!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I think it's fine. He's a big boy now. He'd probably be all right night weaning, if you want to.

I'm sorry things are so hard.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

I don't. Don't give him a bottle. Beside the issue of Milk pooling on his teeth. why come this far and have to night wean twice? Stay focused. And have patience. You can get where you are going Andrea.

Way too lazy for formula

So is he about 2.5 years old now? If I were you, I would just work really hard on night weaning, instead of introducing a bottle this late in the game. Have you tried any of Dr. Jay Gordon's techniques for night weaning?
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*buff24 View Post
    So is he about 2.5 years old now? If I were you, I would just work really hard on night weaning, instead of introducing a bottle this late in the game. Have you tried any of Dr. Jay Gordon's techniques for night weaning?
    I weaned ds2 at night first which allowed me to get more sleep and have more patience for daytime weaning.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*buff24 View Post
    Dr. Gordon worked really well for us.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

I've read Good Nites cover-to-cover a few times. Laith is not doing well with the boob being removed before he's finished or with being comforted back to sleep by daddy. He fully wakes up, screaming, and hits because he is angry. I didn't want to have to sleep in the other room but I guess it's gotten to that point.

He's probably not ready to wean. I am ready for him to wean. I just wish this were easier. Or I wish that I could be a SAHM during this weaning period. It would be so much easier if I didn't have to focus so much on work right now.
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

How about offering a sippy cup of water instead? That way his thirst gets quenched if he's thirsty, but there's no worry about the bottle causing dental decay as there would be with a bottle.

I know weaning before one member of the nursing couple is ready is tough. Sorry you don't have the luxury of continuing on!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I know weaning before one member of the nursing couple is ready is tough. Sorry you don't have the luxury of continuing on!
    I don't have to wean. I'm just tired and I want a break, especially since my toddler seems to BF more than most other toddlers his age. Plus, I want to get pregnant again in January or after and I just can't go from this to a newborn with no pause in between. I think of nursing a 2nd until 3-4 years and I am all . 7-8 years of my life with at least 1 kid hanging off of a boob seems a bit much. If only I knew I were going to be repaid later on for my efforts (by my son who would be so grateful for all the sacrifices I made for him.) You know, like a guaranteed 5-star nursing home or vacation of my choice or something.