Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some support - relactating after 3 months

Default Re: Need some support - relactating after 3 months

You have gotten a lot of good information about relactation, and I wanted to address your concerns about raynaud's. It IS very likely that you are going to experience it again, because raynaud's is a condition of your blood vessels, it's like an "affliction" that you have that doesn't really go away.

BUT, there are many many things that you can do to make it better. The following is info from Dr Newman

# Identify and Fix the original cause of the pain: i.e. Poor Latching and/or Candida.
    # Stop Air Drying of the nipples. When baby comes off the breast, immediately cover the nipple with your warm hand while you get your bra done up. After talking a shower, avoid going out of the shower enclosure until the breasts are completely covered and kept warmed so the cold air cannot reach the nipples.
    # The All Purpose Nipple Ointment may also help for the soreness during the feeding, especially when ibuprofen powder has been mixed in. See the information sheets Candida Protocol and All Purpose Nipple Ointment.
    # Olive Oil Warming olive oil in mother’s fingers and then gently massaging the oil into the nipples during the burning may be very soothing. We have heard from many mothers that this gave them instant relief and seemed to decrease the occurrence of the vasospasm overall. It’s important that the oil be really massaged into the nipples and not just dabbed on
    # Vitamin B6 Multi Complex. There have not yet been studies done to show that vitamin B6 works, but enough anecdotal evidence has come forward to support that it does work at least some of the time. It is safe and will do no harm. It is best that B6 not be taken on its own but instead as part of a B complex of vitamins that includes niacin. Depending on the overall dose of the B complex, the amount of B6 itself should be approximately 100 mg 2x/day for at least a couple of weeks. So, for example, if the overall capsule is 125 mg of B complex and there is only 50 mg of B6 in that capsule, then mother would need to take 2 capsules at a time to equal one dose and that dose would need to be taken 2x/day. The mother continues it until she is pain free for a few weeks. It can be restarted if necessary. If you have been pain free for a week or two, try going off the vitamin B6. If vitamin B6 does not work within a week, it probably won’t.
    # Warm dry compresses can be very effective at stopping the vasospasm as it is occurring and for treating the pain. Lying down after a feeding and applying a heating pad to the breasts for a few minutes or more may help considerably. Certainly, it will allow mother to rest and this may help to deal with the pain, as well.
    # Magnesium supplements with added Calcium taken as 2 teaspoons (300mg Magnesium/200 mg Calcium (gluconate), or taken separately: 2x daily or 30mg Magnesium 2x daily & 200mg of Calcium.)
    # After working on the latch, possibly as effective as all of the above is the massaging of the chest muscles which are below the collar bone and above the breasts after the feedings or at onset of nipple or breast pain. The massage should be very vigorous and firm and is done on the chest, not necessarily the breasts. The mother could also massage under the pectoral muscles, in her armpits, but this massage should be done gently.

When this is not enough:
    # Nifedipine. This is a drug used for hypertension. One 30 mg tablet of the slow release formulation once a day often takes away the pain of vasospasm. After two weeks, stop the medication. If pain returns (about 10% of mothers), start it again. After two weeks, stop the medication. If pain returns (a very small number of mothers), start it again. No mothers I am aware of took more than three, two week courses. Side effects are uncommon, but headache may occur. It is a prescription drug. The dose can be increased if 1 tablet is insufficient. The nifedipine treatment may be used in conjunction with all of the other treatments listed above.
    I actually did have to use nifedipine mine was so bad. but it made it manageable. and you learn tricks to deal. I would always have a heating pad set up and put it to my nipples right before I was ready to nurse/pump. The olive oil works very well also.

Good luck mama! You can do this!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Thank you for the tips. I still have my bottle of nifedipine and my Dr said to begin taking them again if I notice that the Reynauds is bad. I actually had contacted Dr Newman when I was nursing before and he gave me a lot of tips on how to deal with it. So far it isn't that bad and is quite manageable. I also don't go far without my wheat bag. Love it!

So yesterday I got 4 mls of milk while pumping. And today I doubled that!!! And due to a very overbooked schedule I also had to cut a couple pumpings short today.

Meeting with the LC tomorrow to talk more about getting baby back to the breast. She did latch on last night and sucked for a few seconds. Then today when I offered it she immediately went toward it then nearly bit my nippie off!!! Well, maybe not but sure felt like it. Thank goodness she has no teeth yet!

Will keep you updated. Bless you all for your support.

I'm so frustrated with myself right now. I am visiting friends and have been running late on pumping often. Its so hard to keep it going right now. When I am home I am fine with pumping every two hours and never miss, but since being here it has stretched out to being every three to four hours. We are going home on Wednesday so it will be easier there, but its difficult to pump here. At home I don't even bother covering up but here I am uncomfortable if I don't. But this makes it difficult because I can't get the pump set up properly and trying to find the privacy or time is nearly impossible.
    Sorry for whining I just needed to talk.

to you, Mama. EP can be a hard road, and finding time and privacy to pump is one of the many reasons why. I know someone who EPed for a year. She made a poncho-like garment, which she described as "like one of those plastic rain capes, only not transparent," and pumped underneath that. Maybe that would be helpful to you?

Don't worry- once you're home you'll get right back on track!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks. We are heading home today, and you are right. Once I get home it will be easier. I have no problems stopping to pump at home, but the privacy issues here are a little overwhelming. After I posted my last, I set up a little pumping station that worked, until my friend's husband came home for working out of town and then he needed the space. Yuck. Oh well, going home soon and will get back on my schedule. I hate not having my schedule in place. I thrive on order and it's a little chaotic here.

I have been getting about three ounces a day!

Yay! Excellent progress, mama! Keep up the good work.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks!

I have been looking into doing this with my 16 month old. I stopped nursing him at one year, and now I miss it so much. I don't know if he'll accept it, but I just told my husband I'm going to try it again. It's encouraging to know your milk is coming back! I know I still have a little bit-if I squeeze my nipples at all I get a few drops...so I am hopeful!