Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pump one side or both?

Default pump one side or both?

Hi, I'm just back to work, leaving my 6 week old at home with dad. I pumped when my 5 year old was young, but have a different situation this time...

My little one only ever nurses on one side, so when I feed him on non-work days, I alternate sides each feeding. Now that I'm pumping at work, I wonder if I should be pumping both sides or alternating? To further complicate matters, the baby comes to nurse (which is great) at noon and sometimes in the afternoon, so I'm worried if I pump both sides at 10 I'll be empty or low at lunch when he comes. I also don't want to overdo it and increase my supply too much!

Any suggestions?

Default Re: pump one side or both?

You may need to experiment and see what works best for you - IME it really depends on things like how much you're able to pump at each session and how much your LO takes when home with dad.

I found that I needed to constantly tinker with my pumping depending on my output and baby's needs.

Sorry to not have a more definite answer, but I found that pumping is more of an "art" than something that follows specific rules.

Please let us know how it's going!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

with lksam. There's no hard and fast rules about pumping, since what will work for you is going to be as individual as you are. Maybe start with one-sided pumping and see what happens? If you're getting sufficient milk that way, then continue on with it. If not, then you can start pumping both sides.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My ds also usually only takes one breast per session.
    I pump both breasts at the same time because that's what I need to produce enough for the next day....Each Momma is different. I never had a problem with overproduction....We are usually right on. HTH!

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008