Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I didn't know where else to post this.

Default I didn't know where else to post this.

The girls have been sick the past 3 days. Coughs, sneezing, runny noses. They have had fevers on and off, nothing higher that 102.3. All the fevers have responeded well with motrin/tylonel. You know normal cold type syptoms.

The part that conserns me is that they have not eaten in 3 days and have drank very little.

Emma is still nursing and I offer the breast often in which she refuses. It's hard to nurse when you can't breathe from your nose. She refuses foods and pedilyte frozen pops.

Abby refuses everything! Not even water. We've told her that if she does drink she'll have to go to the Dr. But at what point to we really need to take her. She has bags under her eys, but her skind bounces back after being pinch. She's lost three pounds in three day, she lays around all day long.

I'm sorry that this is so long and Thank you so very much for reading this far. Any advice is appreciated! Alex

LLLJacqui is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: I didn't know where else to post this.

Yep, you need to get them to the doctor, especially if they are starting to show signs of dehydration.

I'm so sorry that you are going through this... it's just a tough time when your kiddos are sick!

Jacqui

How are they doing this evening?
    Lori )O(
    Extended nursing, home birthing, unschooling, Nursing Necklace making, WAHM to Konur 3-11-01 and Mali 6-16-04
    Leave Nursing Necklaces Feedback Here

Oh dear, you do need to have them seen. When children are sick we like to see them taking in an ounce per pound of body weight per 24 hour period. So if your child weighs thirty pounds then you would want them to have thirty ounces of fluids over the 24 hour period. You can try ice chips or chipping up the popcycles and spoon feeding them. Sometimes you have to go very slow, one teaspoon of fluids, wait ten minutes and try another and keep going until they are able to keep them down.
    Sick babies can stay on the breast all the time and you can watch for wet diapers. If you are using disposables line them with a kleenex or strip of toilet paper so you can see and feel the wetness.
    It sounds like right now you have been doing all you can and the best intervention is to get medical assistance to help you get the kids going again on fluids.

momuvseven

Hi ladies,

I'm so sorry that it has taken me this long for an update! Both of girls have bronchitis, and Abby as an ear infection as well.

They did test Emma for RSV and it came back neg. Whew! And a chest x-ray, that is how DR know it was bronchitis.

The girls are eating a little bit today and are drinking ALOT more, than the past few days

Thank you for all of the well wishes!

Thanks for the update. Hope you all are doing much better now.

momuvseven