Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: definition of extended BF

Default definition of extended BF

This is just out of curiosity. What's considered "extended" breastfeeding? I only ask because I recently have gotten some really wide-eyed looks at work when I mention that I'm still pumping for my 8 MO. Maybe it's me, but I assumed that BF for the first year was totally normal for people who choose to nurse. I work in a pretty progressive environment, and was a little taken aback by some of the people who were surprised I was still nursing. It's not that they were judgmental or anything, they were just surprised, that's the only way I can think to describe it. My feeling is, I put a lot of work into getting our nursing going smoothly, I"m not going to throw it away and throw away a lot of money on formula if I don't have to, that's for sure!

Anyway, just a question. I know in this forum I won't be in the minority, just wondering if others have had similar experiences.
    Last edited by Lilly's Mom; January 31st, 2006 at 04:02 PM.

Default Re: definition of extended BF

Techinically anything over one year would be considered EN. However, it means something different to many people.

Moms who nurse 3 months think 6 months is considered EN.

To me the first 2 years is nursing a baby and anything after 2 would be extended. but that's just my opinion.

For me, extended nursing is when DS decides to check out what's going on on the other side of the room while he's nursing, and doesn't unlatch. Now that's extended nursing!

Me, I just nurse my little guy every day, and I don't mind so much that he's two. I found that the comments and looks really peaked at about nine months to maybe thirteen months, and then they leveled off. Etiher that or I just got so used to them I don't even hear them anymore.

I agree, though, that it shouldn't be particularly exceptional to be "still" pumping at eight months. But since it's longer than most babies get breastmilk, I guess it is.

I think they say it is best to nurse for 2 yrs. I aim for 1 yr and if she still wants to bf after that I try to keep it to morning or evening feedings only. Anything more goes in a sippy. But that's just me If you get more remarks ask them how long they kept there baby on formula.. That will make them think about what they just said.

I have to laugh as I too got the looks and the comments from extended family members when I occasionally mentioned that we still were nursing.
    I actually has DH's aunt who is in her late 40's or early 50's ask me if Madison was eating food! LOL take note the child was then 23 months!
    Of course I replied and said yes but she started to lecture me about nursing and all that crapola.... KWIM .. I just told her that I was nurturing Madison and what doens't work for one person might work for another including me!

As far as your question, I had someone say that to me about DS when he was 6 months old!
    Some people have to NO IDEA and are NOT educated in the realm of BF.

Tell them you are enhancing her brain development!

Smile Re: definition of extended BF

People crack me up. Eight months as extended bf??? I suppose I might have thought so if I had never breast fed or stopped at 6 weeks, Now we're at 2 years and some change. . . (and have definately "crossed over", ha ha).

People are so uninformed!!! I actually had one of my asst. principals (I'm a teacher) tell me, you know after a year it's for YOU not for her. WTH?! Still don't get exactly what that's supposed to mean....

My definition of extended nursing has changed as my DD has gotten older too. At first I thought it meant over a year, but I couldn't imagine weaning b/f 18 months or so! We're about to hit our 2nd year, and we also have definately crossed over! LOL

THough sad, I'm not suprised. I just read that out of the babies who's mothers left the hospital bf, only 16% make it to one year! I watched my mom bf my baby sister until 3 so I can't imagine stopping until he and I are both ready. When people ask me how long I am going to bf my 9 month old, I tell them "I'm going to let him lead, but I expect at least 18 months- 2 years. The world wide average weaning age is between 3-7 years." WHen they hear some children don't wean until 7, two years old doesn't seem so old anymore. Sometimes it helps to let people know that the rest of the world doesn't think like westerners.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by JilliesMom
    People are so uninformed!!! I actually had one of my asst. principals (I'm a teacher) tell me, you know after a year it's for YOU not for her. WTH?! Still don't get exactly what that's supposed to mean....

My definition of extended nursing has changed as my DD has gotten older too. At first I thought it meant over a year, but I couldn't imagine weaning b/f 18 months or so! We're about to hit our 2nd year, and we also have definately crossed over! LOL

My Step Dad made that comment the other day and I was like what in the world does that mean??????

My son is 28 months and still going strong.

LOL about extended nursing be spotting something across the room and still holding on I TOTALLY feel Ya. I think my breasts will be permanently curved from Evan twisting to see the Tv.

Radonna

Only about 22% of babies in the U.S. get any breastmilk at all past 6 months. So at 8 months you are already in a very small (the few, the proud) minority.

IME, very few people even know that the AAP recommends a MINIMUM of 12 months breastfeeding -- and have never seen or heard of a child nursing into toddlerhood or beyond. So that's probably the source of the surprise. I'm glad you're around to educate them by your example.

--Rebecca