Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sudden increase in nursing

Default Sudden increase in nursing

I have a baby girl who just turned one the beginning of this month. She was nursing in the morning and before bed and a couple of times during the night (she sleeps with my husband and I). Recently, like in the past week or so she wakes up about every 1/2 hour in the night to nurse and won't be consoled until she does so. During the day she is wanting to nurse about every 2 hours. Since she is 1 now, she can definately "tell" me what she wants...comes to me, lifts up my shirt and says "eess, eess". I have two older daughters who were both breastfed...the first quit suddenly on her own at 11 months, the second weaned when she was 15 months. During both of their last few weeks of bfing they would only nurse before bed. They both took pacifiers and would wake in the night, pop the binky back in and go right back to sleep. (They were both co-sleepers also). I am just wondering why the sudden onset of frequent nursings and what should I do about it? Let it go and she'll eventually slow down again (this is wearing me out!) or try to get her to suck on a binky (she never has liked it much, no matter how hard I tried to get her to take one as an infant, now she will suck on it occassionaly, but more "just for fun" than for soothing) Any advice or info from experience with this type of thing would be greatly appreciated. I had planned on nursing her until between 15-18 months and this is really throwing me for a loop since I figured the last few months would be just before bed like my first two!

Thanks!!!

Default Re: Sudden increase in nursing

Chances are there's something going on in her little world and nursing is her way of dealing with it. I can't tell you whether this pattern will continue or not. But if you believe in the philosophy of mothering through breastfeeding then you certainly can't go wrong by meeting her needs through nursing her on demand You said that she is a year old so she may still have some teeth that are trying to come in which can be influencing her behavior. Also, babies will often want to nurse more/wake frequently at night whenever they're meeting any new milestones -- perhaps your baby has just learned how to walk or mastered some other sort of task?

If all else fails, just remember -- this too shall pass You're doing a good job -- keep it up!

Thanks for the info...it always helps to look at a situation from another point of view. DD hasn't had any major changes in her life or milestones recently, but she didn't start crawling until a couple of months ago and has now gotten much more independent. She is often following her older sisters (7 & 4.5) to play. I have noticed that when she wants to nurse is when she comes crawling back to me and then when she's done she wants back down to go play again! Maybe nursing more frequently during the day is her way of "reconnecting" with me since she is spending less and less time on my lap or hip. You had another good point when you said that she may be getting new teeth. Her molars may be trying to work their way through eventhough I haven't seen them yet. Maybe the sucking relieves some of the pressure for her or just comforts her. I really appreciate your reply. I am definately going to give her what she needs, even if I do lose some sleep! After all, I will be sad when she does give up nursing just like I was with the other two ...it's such a special closeness...

Something else I thought of -- sometimes our baby's little worlds just get off-kilter. I liken it to a scratched record (or CD, depending on your generation, lol) that gets stuck and it just needs a little nudge every now and then to set it right again. The nursing is the perfect nudge to set their fragile world/record right again.

I'm glad to hear that you're taking this route, even if it does mean less sleep for you. You'll get through this! Just hang in there!