Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Nursing an 8 year old...

Default Re: Nursing an 8 year old...

I believe part of changing society is trying to not hide nursing toddlers. It's such a secret it seems. I don't want people to just assume we are weaned as she gets older just to make it easier. Maybe once we hit two (assuming we do) I'll feel different also.

I totally agree with that when it comes to nursing a smaller child. My concern was that once Nora could understand what people were saying I didn't want her witnessing some crazy stranger telling us that what we were doing was gross. She did hear it a few times from family- not that it was gross, but that she'd have to stop soon, she was getting too big, etc. I always made sure that she heard me reply that no she wasn't too big, that we were both comfortable with nursing and that it was good for her.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

That's so sad. I can definitely see how that would deter you. Makes me want to people.

I know LLL groups vary from place to place, but I agree that in some groups, or at least some zip codes, it helps to "normalize" breastfeeding to ease new mommies in slowly by separating the groups out.

I had no problem with the idea of breastfeeding in general as I thought formula was for orphans or adopted kids (I was SO freakin' naive) but had never actually been around a nursing mother. When I went to my very first LLL meeting I was SHOCKED to see 1. tandem bf'ding and 2. 3&4 year olds nursing. I left with the idea that that was the biggest group of hippies I had ever been around (and to be honest, they kind of were ). But then, 2 years flies by, and there I was sitting in a meeting with a 2 year old nursing realizing there is a new mom of a 6 week old giving me a look.

Knowledge changes all preconceptions, and I am willing to bet money in 2 years that lady will be sitting in my shoes. The more people are exposed to it, the more "normal" it becomes.

I'm not really sure how long we would have gone without the pregnancy hormones, but I think I was reaching my limit with sharing my body for so long. I definitely could not have made it to 8 years that's for sure!

Emily, mommy to
    Jeremija Charles - 5/30/07 - nursed 26 mo, and
    Aleksandar Hayes - 12/13/09 - nursing strong!

"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you are going to do now and do it." - William Durant

If you really want to do something, you'll find a way, if you don't, you'll find an excuse.

I attended my first LLL meeting when DD was 3 months old, and I was shocked to see moms nursing toddlers, even 3 and 4 year olds. BUT...now I am so glad I was exposed to extended nursing early on and the meetings seemed to normalize it. Still, I thought--no way will I be nursing a 2 yr. old! Yet now here I am BF'ing my 22 month old, just 2 months from turning 2. I now plan to let DD self-wean. I don't know what I thought before that, that babies didn't want to BF past their 1st birthday? That BM was suddenly "bad" for them?

I still nurse DD in public when she asks (rare, except if we're out eating since she won't drink cow's milk). I haven't yet gotten "the look" or if I have, I haven't noticed it but she is small for her age and still quite bald which makes people think she is younger than she is. I agree that the more people are exposed to extended nursing, the more normal it becomes and like to think that I am doing my part to help by nursing DD in public.

I remember one time I was nursing DD in public (she was around 18 mo.) while we were having lunch and later an older woman came up to me and said, "You should be proud of yourself." And then she went on to tell me how long she had BF each of her kids and how much she enjoyed it. I swear I felt like a hero the rest of the day!
    Cheryl

Mommy to Tessa Noelle 12/14/07

I like hearing these stories. I wish I had more courage to nurse in public. I'm not embarrassed really that we are still nursing, but something about me is too private to nurse without covering up. Guess I should get over that? Anyway, my 15.5 mo. old still seems like such a baby to me (even though she's walking and talking!!!) and I can't imagine not bf her. It is strange to me now that I thought with my first baby that 1 year was the magic number.

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!