Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nursing an 8 year old...

Default Re: Nursing an 8 year old...

I'd say no -Shelly. I know the toddler meetings IME are held to accomodate the needs of the moms. If you have a room 1/2 full of newbie moms wanting to know if their baby is getting enough and a room 1/2 full of moms wanting more info on solids/weaning/night weaning etc... it can get tricky to answer everyone.

For us it has nothing to do with not wanting to scare anyone off
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I do think it is a sad state of affairs when we are made to feel we are doing something wrong nursing our toddlers. But I admit that I also tapered off my NIP once Nora was 13-14 mos old or so. I still did it, but not as much. I wasn't as comfortable doing it, I think mainly because I started noticing other people noticing me and wanted to avoid conflict. But I also I knew that she was perfectly capable of understanding that she needed to wait to nurse. Plus she was much more distracted and didn't seem to want to nurse when we were out and about. I did continue to nurse around around family and friends I started getting comments and questions, but I felt I could address them with family and friend and even be confrontational if necessary (which it was a few times) in a way I didn't feel comfortable being with strangers. That was just my own personal comfort level guiding my behavior and I remember thinking at the time that it was sad that I felt that way about it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I didn't watch this video, but I suspect it's the same one that was on 20/20 about a year ago, with the mom in Great Britain and the two daughters. I saw it about a week after Lilah was born and thought it was super weird and it creeped me out.

As time has gone on and I am approaching the year mark with Lilah, I have learned a lot of things about parenting in general. I don't think that I will be nursing Lilah when she is 8, but now I don't think it's creepy. When I am nursing my girl, I can't imagine why people wean at 6 months or a year. It is such an expression of love and nurturing between mother and child.

There were a lot of things that I thought were crazy or creepy that people did with their children before I had one. Now I try not to judge what others do, because even though it may not be right for my family, it must be right for theirs. My husband likes to say that we were the best parents in the world before we had a baby.

ETA: It makes me sad that people feel like they can't nurse their toddlers in front of others - but I am sure that I will start to feel that pressure as Lilah gets bigger. She's a pretty small baby so she will probably look like she's around 12 months old for quite some time. I don't remember noticing anyone NIP before I had her, but now I see people doing it everywhere I go - I think I just wasn't looking for it. That being said, I don't recall anyone nursing a toddler older than about 2 in public. I don't think that would have put me off breastfeeding - but my mom breastfed and my grandmother breastfed, and so I never had any intention of using formula for my babies. I'm not sure how it would have made me feel if I was on the fence about it.
    Last edited by @llli*mommy2lilah; October 13th, 2009 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*namaste View Post
    However, what i was offended by were comments about how "once they get teeth it needs to stop", or "if they can ask for it then they don't need it" .
    My daughter could ask for milk when she was 9 months old!! It's called SIGN LANGUAGE!!

Funny considering the AAP recommends nursing for at least 3 months after that!!

I'm a full-time single mama and a full-time law student!! Loving every minute!!

Mommy to Izzy , born 8/23/08!!! Check out our blog!

BW: 8lbs. 8oz., 20 in.
    3 months: 11 lbs. 14oz., 23 1/4 in.
    6 months: 17 lbs. 9oz., 26 1/2 in.
    9 months: 20 lbs. 0 oz., 27 in.
    12 months: 22 lbs. 12 oz., 28 3/4 in.
    15 months: 25 lbs. 12 oz., 29 3/4 in.

for 18+ months! Now we only nurse on one side because mama's other side is predisposed to recurring mastitis!!

I am nursing my 15.5 mo. old. She only nurses 2-4 times a day now but there are times when she asks to nurse or needs to nurse when we're out. (Not often, but sometimes it really is urgent). I don't feel comfortable nursing her in public for two reasons 1. we never mastered nursing while covered up and I would have to be completely exposed... 2. I don't want to deal with the comments. It would NOT make me feel uncomfortable to see someone else bf a toddler. I actually didn't think that the video of the 8 year old nursing was weird at all. But I personally don't think I'll be nursing my DD at 8. We'll be blessed to be nursing at 2. LOL. What makes me sad is that our society doesn't make it very easy to nurse past the infant stage. I can't tell you how many times I've nursed my DD in various bathrooms. When I pick her up from DC, I nurse in a large staff bathroom, b/c there's no space in any of the classrooms to nurse a toddler. I guess we just have to pray that we change society one bf baby at a time.

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

I don't cover up.

I guess Roxie and I are going to forge ahead.. I really don't care if there are comments. It's just so normal for us and with our family...IDK, maybe I'll feel different at 2.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

I totally agree with that when it comes to nursing a smaller child. My concern was that once Nora could understand what people were saying I didn't want her witnessing some crazy stranger telling us that what we were doing was gross. She did hear it a few times from family- not that it was gross, but that she'd have to stop soon, she was getting too big, etc. I always made sure that she heard me reply that no she wasn't too big, that we were both comfortable with nursing and that it was good for her.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I know LLL groups vary from place to place, but I agree that in some groups, or at least some zip codes, it helps to "normalize" breastfeeding to ease new mommies in slowly by separating the groups out.

I had no problem with the idea of breastfeeding in general as I thought formula was for orphans or adopted kids (I was SO freakin' naive) but had never actually been around a nursing mother. When I went to my very first LLL meeting I was SHOCKED to see 1. tandem bf'ding and 2. 3&4 year olds nursing. I left with the idea that that was the biggest group of hippies I had ever been around (and to be honest, they kind of were ). But then, 2 years flies by, and there I was sitting in a meeting with a 2 year old nursing realizing there is a new mom of a 6 week old giving me a look.

Knowledge changes all preconceptions, and I am willing to bet money in 2 years that lady will be sitting in my shoes. The more people are exposed to it, the more "normal" it becomes.

I'm not really sure how long we would have gone without the pregnancy hormones, but I think I was reaching my limit with sharing my body for so long. I definitely could not have made it to 8 years that's for sure!

Emily, mommy to
    Jeremija Charles - 5/30/07 - nursed 26 mo, and
    Aleksandar Hayes - 12/13/09 - nursing strong!

"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you are going to do now and do it." - William Durant

If you really want to do something, you'll find a way, if you don't, you'll find an excuse.

I attended my first LLL meeting when DD was 3 months old, and I was shocked to see moms nursing toddlers, even 3 and 4 year olds. BUT...now I am so glad I was exposed to extended nursing early on and the meetings seemed to normalize it. Still, I thought--no way will I be nursing a 2 yr. old! Yet now here I am BF'ing my 22 month old, just 2 months from turning 2. I now plan to let DD self-wean. I don't know what I thought before that, that babies didn't want to BF past their 1st birthday? That BM was suddenly "bad" for them?

I still nurse DD in public when she asks (rare, except if we're out eating since she won't drink cow's milk). I haven't yet gotten "the look" or if I have, I haven't noticed it but she is small for her age and still quite bald which makes people think she is younger than she is. I agree that the more people are exposed to extended nursing, the more normal it becomes and like to think that I am doing my part to help by nursing DD in public.

I remember one time I was nursing DD in public (she was around 18 mo.) while we were having lunch and later an older woman came up to me and said, "You should be proud of yourself." And then she went on to tell me how long she had BF each of her kids and how much she enjoyed it. I swear I felt like a hero the rest of the day!
    Cheryl

Mommy to Tessa Noelle 12/14/07

I like hearing these stories. I wish I had more courage to nurse in public. I'm not embarrassed really that we are still nursing, but something about me is too private to nurse without covering up. Guess I should get over that? Anyway, my 15.5 mo. old still seems like such a baby to me (even though she's walking and talking!!!) and I can't imagine not bf her. It is strange to me now that I thought with my first baby that 1 year was the magic number.

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!