Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nursing an 8 year old...

Default Re: Nursing an 8 year old...

I just watched this. I am VERY pro EBF. But that's quite a sacrifice to go for 8 years! Not sure I can make it that long - we're still hoping for 2. LOL.
    I wonder if there's somewhere I could see the whole clip???

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juno View Post
    I liked this one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBn2WhjiwVY&NR=1

Pay close attention, she's smoking apparently
    Wow, that got really deep towards the end. I wonder what in the world that woman was on.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mammaof2 View Post
    Wow, that got really deep towards the end. I wonder what in the world that woman was on.
    Seriously!! That woman had to have been on something!
    To each their own, if it works for that family to BF until 8 or 9 then that is their business.
    Meri

WE , ,, and now

Proud BF mommy to Mason and Graham
    Check out my blog

SO....I feel abivilence. While I am kinda skeeved put by her HUGE kid at her breast in the far away shots, when they do the close us and all you see is her daughters happy content face cradled in by her mothers breasts, I feel all warm and happy for them both. I can't help it. It's a knee jerk reaction for me really. Even at 7 her daughter looks my son at her breast. Still so very young and so content.
    And it's is hard to get too skeeeved out by her. She seem so intelligent and normal and sane. I LOVE the part where the girls says it tastes better than even mango!

Way too lazy for formula

it works for them, and in some societies its a norm at that age even. The kids look happy and well adjusted and the mom looks happy too. Like she siad in her own words, they WONT nurse forever, it just wont happen! At some point the little girl will wean!

i remain neutral and non judgmental on this one, as I know some people look at me nursing my 6month old and think I am nuts!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

In what society or societies is it normal to nurse a 7 or 8 year old?

Way too lazy for formula

I am all for extented nursing, but I think the question does need to be raised as far as in what society is this the norm? I know the WHO says the average age is 4.... I honestly think 8 is a little long.. and have to wonder who the benefit is really for.
    : breastfeeding mamma to our second daughter Gwendolyn Rose born 3/26/10 and to my 31 month old sweetie Alayna.

"In societies where children are allowed to nurse 'as long as they want,' they usually self-wean, with no arguments or emotional trauma, between three and four years of age ... The minimum predicted age for a natural age of weaning in humans is two and a half years, with a maximum of seven years." -- Katherine Dettwyler, PhD, Associate Professor of Anthropology and Nutrition at Texas A&M University, and author of "Breastfeeding: Biocultural Perspectives."
    Where is it normal socially? IDK.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    In what society or societies is it normal to nurse a 7 or 8 year old?
    http://www.kathydettwyler.org/detsurvey.htm

I don't know that this constitutes "normal", simply because I'm not sure precisely what the word "normal" means. But it would seem to indicate that, even in white, educated, middle/upper-class America, it's not unheard of (3-4% of those nursed 3 years or more are nursed longer than 7 years), maybe it's just not spoken of.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Yes, the BF in Mongolia article does mention that 8 or 9 yrs old is not unheard of. Not the norm, but certainly not met with disgust or disbelief.

I don't see a problem with it as long as it's still working for both of the individuals in the dyad.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63