Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sore nipples from pumping

Default Sore nipples from pumping

I have been having some problems from pumping, am now back at work and need some advice. My daughter is 7 weeks now, and does well while breastfeeding although I have an overactive let down, so she does clamp down some. Anyway, when I pump, my nipples are often sore afterward- sometimes for up to an hour. I have tried all different flange sizes with no luck- seems like when I decrease the suction to barely anything, barely any milk comes out...which doesn't work for pumping at work, I just don't have the time. I've also noticed the sometimes my nipples are purple after pumping, is that normal? Some advice on what to try would be great...

Default Re: Sore nipples from pumping

That sounds like Reynauds - www.kellymom.com probably has info on it. I don't know much about it.

What kind of pump are you using?

Ameda- have seen a lactation nurse for sucking problems in the begining and this has been a problem from the start of pumping not a new problem. My nipples are fairly flat and nursing fine now. I couldn't find anything on Reynauds- what is that?

Here is the link: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/...blanching.html

I may have the same problem too.

You might also try lubricating the flange with some olive oil or lanolin.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks.....I read some of the articles from the attached link, and I think you are on to something- I have many of those symptoms, although they are not so severe, cold is definately a problem and I have color changes as mentioned, and pain afterward just as in the article.

I'm going to definately try some of the suggestions to see if they help. I really want to breastfeed my baby for as long as possible- but if this continues there is no way. I really hope that one of these suggestions helps...