Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nighttime

Default Nighttime

I'm a little concerned about the length of time my baby goes at night without waking up to eat. I haven't called his pediatrician yet since it's only happened twice (and looks like it's going to happen tonight, too).

He usually winds down for the night around 7-8 PM. I nurse him and he falls asleep. He will go from say, 8:00 PM to 12:00 AM (last night it was 1:45 AM) and he'll start to stir. I'll get to him and attempt to nurse him but he'll only nurse for 2-5 minutes (sometimes a little longer) and fall back into his deep sleep. I try everythnig to wake him but to no avail. After this long stretch he'll sleep for 2 hours and wake, sometimes 3, but he'll barely eat because he falls asleep and I can't get him to wake back up enough to nurse efficiently (if he does keep his latch it's just to suckle for pacifying).

He is 9 weeks old. He is 12.4 pounds, and his diaper output is okay. He has at the very least 6 wets in 24 hours, and usually 2 HUGE poopie and 3-5 "skidmark" poopies in 24 hours. I'm just concerned because I didn't think a 2 month old breastfed baby should (or could?!) go so long at night without eating.

Breastfeeding my 4 year old

Default Re: Nighttime

I'm no expert but it sounds if the diaper output is good then you could be one of the lucky ones.

Our little one started to sleep 4-5 hour stretches at about 7-8 weeks. Now she gets 6-7 and she's 12 weeks. At first I was really worried and would wake up to try and feed her but she would just sleep.

I hope you get more advise as well.
    mamma to Chloe, July 10, 2009 and we

Thanks for the reply! It's good to know someone else is experiencing this, too. I hope I get more advice, as well!!

Breastfeeding my 4 year old

Oh you are lucky! Good for you!

Yes, my lo had that "problem" for awhile until I consulted a lactation expert and midwife and she said at that age (your lo's age), he is mature enough to wake himself up at night if he's hungry. Sounds like your sweetie has some slow metabolism. So long as output is normal, get some sleep and count your lucky stars!
    ----------------
    First-time mother to baby Ian born January 17th, 2009; 9lbs 2oz; 21 inches; all natural birth experience
    My Blog: www.life-with-ian.blogspot.com

BF'ing for 14 months
    At Home:
    At Work: