Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BLS and canned baby food?

Default BLS and canned baby food?

I have been reading a bit on BLS and want to try that with my LO. He is only 2.5 months so we have a long time yet before getting to that point. However, some church families have been passing along extra jars of baby food (some came as a gift, another lady gave me leftovers from when some grandkids were visiting). They don't expire for a while so we could use them when DS is ready. But should we avoid it altogether?

The reason I'm asking so early is if it would be a bad idea to use it in conjunction with BLS, I'd rather donate it to the food bank now so someone else can use it.

Would you keep it just in case your LO happened to like baby food? BTW, it is all healthy and doesn't have added salt or sugar.
    "My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary."
    -Martin Luther

Default Re: BLS and canned baby food?

Well my lo never ate pureed food since she didn't want to be spoon fed. But all babies are different so your lo might like them. But even though they don't have added sugar and salt they are not as nutritious as fresh food.
    ~ Theresa
    wife to Mike and mommy to Clara (9-5-08) 2 years and going strong!!

I haved used them in a pinch. especially with MIL and my own Mom.. both whom get nervous with BLS and I kind of do 1/2 and 1/2.. but I make my own purees but thicker so he can feed himself too.. so really it is up to you keep them for a back up or donate them
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

I so wanted to do BLS but chickened out at the last second. I am sure is is very safe and many have done it with success, but I am just too afraid of my DD choking. So I started with purees!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*avery.mom View Post
    I haved used them in a pinch. especially with MIL and my own Mom.. both whom get nervous with BLS and I kind of do 1/2 and 1/2.. but I make my own purees but thicker so he can feed himself too.. so really it is up to you keep them for a back up or donate them
    That's kind of what we did too. We did find the jars handy for out and about or over at MIL's/traveling, etc. MIL was/is very nervous about feeding DD and I didn't want someone who wasn't confident in handling a "situation" feeding my baby when I wasn't around. She even gets nervous now when DD is chomping on garlic bread or something, and she's 14 months old! So when she went with MIL for a few hours when she was younger, we sent a jar of food. We just send normal food now.
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

If you're doing BLS you probably wont use them. I found that it was just as easy to slice a sweet potato and lay it on a cookie sheet and bake, really. I had someone give me three bottles of the junior stuff that they didn't use and I just dropped it off at a food bank (or you could donate to a shelter).
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

if you pass it on at least it would be out of your house.

If you really look into BLS, there isn't much call for baby food, like purees, in that. I've never used "baby food." You can keep it as back-up . .. . but IME, babies who get started with BLS don't have much use for purees because they get used to feeding themselves and refuse spoon feeding entirely (I love it. . . I do not have time to spoon feed a baby!)
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I guess I will get rid of them. We have a little food processor so I can make purees if DH or I change my mind- or we could use it to make food that a sitter would be more comfortable with. It probably is better from fresh or frozen fruits/veggies.
    "My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary."
    -Martin Luther

After reading the BLS book I felt bad if I spoon fed my baby...that's just me though.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby