Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is he ready for solids?

Default Is he ready for solids?

Hello all!

I have read that a baby does not need solids up to 1 year old while BF exclusively. Some people says to at least BF fro 6 months before introducing solids. My son is 4 months 1 week. He weights about 15 pounds. He is nursing ALL the time lately and many friends tell me that is time to introduce cereal. Is my first baby so I am at lost at when to introduce solids. When is the average time to introduce solids? Also, does it have to be cereal first? what are the first foods to introduce to your baby? how often? how much? SOOO many questions Please advice! Thanks!

Default Re: Is he ready for solids?

Here is a great resource for starting solids: Kellymom - solids and the breastfed baby

and most babies are developmentally ready for solids somewhere between 6 and 8 months.

Signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids include:

Baby can sit up well without support.
    Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
    Baby is ready and willing to chew.
    Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
    Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Our LOs are about the same age and weight and we just had our 4 mos. check up. Dr. said that if we wanted, to start on solids, starting with cereal. I was debating whether to start solids or not. Personally, I don't think my dd is ready for solids, therefore I decided to hold off until she's about 6 mos. for several reasons:
    she can't sit up on her own, and doesn't show interest by immitating us when we eat (opening mouth for food). Also, A LOT of the articles I read (on kellymom.com, askdrsears.com, etc) said to skip cereal all together because it was hard on baby's tummy causing constipation and digestive complications later on. But most importantly, baby's tummy are immature "open cells" (meaning that there's space between cells) in which foods can pass through and lead to food allergies. Between 6-8 months is when their tummy's mature and become "closed cells" in which foods doesn't completely pass through but is absorbed making it less likely to develop food allergies. Of course, allergies are more likely if mama has any allergies.
    Just some info for you to consider/have, but that's why I decided to wait
    Some other really good suggestions on the websites were to give LO a sippie cup w/ 1-2 tablespoons of water or diluted juice (we used water) to practice drinking with during a meal so that they relate it to mealtime, not as a toy. NEVER give sippie cup with bm or formula (when they're still bf/ff) because they'll get used to the fast flow! Or let LO practice with a baby spoon for all the same reasons! It's all about hand-eye coordination.
    Last edited by @llli*juliet1; October 4th, 2009 at 04:53 PM.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

LLL says that babies are ready at "about the middle of the first year." So you want to look for signs of readiness as a pp mentioned. The AAP recently revised their position on the issue to say nothing but breastmilk or formula for "6 months." I'd hold off for at least another month or so for your baby... 4 mo is really young

And mashed bananas are a great first food! You can just let him lick a bit of mushed banana off your finger when you are eating one. You don't have to get bibs and a high chair and measure and all that... just give him tastes till you think he's ready for more and follow his lead!
    ~*~Julie~*~
    Mama to Parker (9), Bret (7), JT (2) and someone new coming mid-Oct!

I would wait another couple months, until you see all those signs of readiness. No need to hurry! Breastmilk is the perfect food- it has just the right balance of calories, sugars, fats, minerals, etc.- and you want to maximize your baby's intake of that perfect food.

When is the average time to introduce solids?
    The average time and the best time for introducing solids aren't always the same thing. Lots of people do solids before 6 months, so the average time is probably around 4-5 months, but 6 months or later is the best time.

Also, does it have to be cereal first? what are the first foods to introduce to your baby?
    No, absolutely not. Cereal is fortified with vitamins and minerals, but other than that it's pure starch. Not the healthiest stuff. You can skip cereal and start with fruits and veggies if you prefer.

how often? how much?
    Start slow, offering a teaspoon or two of food once or twice a day. Remember, solids are just for fun, not for nutrition, so there's no pressure. If your baby takes a taste and swallows- success! If she spits it out- success! If she would rather smear it all over her high chair and hair- success!

You can also take a baby-led solids (BLS) approach, in which you skip the spoon and just put a soft, gum-able, healthy solids on your baby's tray and allow her to maneuver them into her mouth. BLS is great because it's no pressure- mom doesn't need to spoon-feed or buy jarred food or even participate much in the process- all she has to do is watch the baby enjoy herself and explore new sensations.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"