Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: solids/doing something wrong/plz help

Default solids/doing something wrong/plz help

ok here we go: my LO was doing so well on whole oats (blended finely) for two weeks then we went to bananas, & everything was great... & his poopy started to change. then i think he might have had a tummy ache, (maybe i overdid it with the bananas) and refused to eat by keeping his lips closed when i would bring the spoon to his mouth. he had diarrhea for a few nights so i stopped solids and just bf him. every night he drinks a 4.5oz bottle of bm and also nurses to sleep, that is the only way that he seems to be happy. fyi: at 5mo he weighed 19.8oz... but now in the middle of the night he does poopy and its very loose, several times. these last two days i have sat him down and tried to feed him but not succeeding like before. we stopped the whole oats and bananas and went to sweet potato, thinking maybe he is just sick of the bananas...but he really doesnt open his mouth. and when he does open his mouth and i manage to get some sweet potatoes in, he starts to gag. his poopy is very loose (i think) or maybe i was just getting used to seeing what it looked like when he was having the organic whole oats and bananas...so i was wondering if i should start rice cereal. maybe helping his poopy situation?? if so which rice cereal? so many out on the market and i dont want to buy just anything...

thx ladies!! time to go, baby boy is calling to nurse! gnite
    Last edited by @llli*meliecua; October 4th, 2009 at 08:02 AM. Reason: forgot to add a sentence

Default Re: solids/doing something wrong/plz help

How old is your LO?

IME some babies just don't like to be spoon fed and prefer to do it themselves. You may want to try offering foods that he can pick up and self-feed.

I'd follow baby's lead - if he doesn't open mouth then don't force him to eat. And gagging sounds like he may not totally be ready for solids yet. In which case I'd back off and stop solids for a week or so then gradually and gently try again.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

sounds like your doing the right things.
    IT could be a virus that is going around, lots of that this time of year.
    My dd couldn't have more then 1/2 a bannana in a day or she would not be able to poop.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    How old is your LO?

IME some babies just don't like to be spoon fed and prefer to do it themselves. You may want to try offering foods that he can pick up and self-feed.

I'd follow baby's lead - if he doesn't open mouth then don't force him to eat. And gagging sounds like he may not totally be ready for solids yet. In which case I'd back off and stop solids for a week or so then gradually and gently try again.

hi isksam.. do you think he isn't ready because he has started to gag? but he was doing fine b4 without a problem and now all of sudden he started. i will try to have him self-feed himself because that sounds like a good idea and fun. thx!

he is 6mo old...