Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: latch and position/what's right

Default latch and position/what's right

How important is it to have the "perfect latch and position to successfully nurse? Reason being it that my 5 month old is now not on the breast well, she slips and sides, clicks, her bottom lip is not out and the whole areola underneath is showing-when she was a baby it was easier to put her on"right" but now that she is "older" she has her own way-I am not really looking for the picture perfect latch-matter of fact when she was 2-3 mos old a lac told us she is not my daughter was not a poster nursing child...didnt really bug me and she said that if it working continue-dont fix what isnt broken...but I wondering if this could be the cause of her fussiness at breast at times cause she cant do it and for a times a lower milk supply....to try and retrain her is not going to happen and she really isnt "into" nursing although she needs to eat. Even with postions it is hard cause she is so wiggly and I cant hold her right-only laying down works but that is hard cause of my other children. she seems to nurse all the time ie 2pm then again at 245 I offered both breast at that time and she fussed and didnt latch on although I knew she needed to....have some instincts left from this....so what do I do...oh and last night was gruling...she took at 615 nap came off herself and woke up at 645 fussin offered her breast said no tried fo ra while but no go, so I went in the bath at 715 knowing she needed to eat soon..brought her with me and no go she wouldnt self latch-so 8pm rolls around she starts fussing in tub re offered no go...so I go out bath was a bit cool and asked my husbnad to take her-she looked at me the entire way to the bedroom and then as soon as she layed down to get ready for bedtime she cried and cried grabbed her offered she nursed but pulled on and off and on and off-she hasnt done that in a while..so I knew something had to be up..this had be going on during some of the feedings for the past two days-whats up???

also today I dont feel well-stomach ache threw up this am...and just plain tired-we are also on an elimination diet-she broke out in excema on her body.
    I need to weight her tuesday, I cried to my husband today wanting so much to quit-we have been threw the washing machine and back several times with breastfeeding and it has taken such a tole on us both in more ways than on. The crying and fussing at breast just gets to you when it is the majority of the time. I need to continue but I dont know how to be comfortable and make her also happy. I am planning on going to a LL mt in two weeks it is an hour away. shell be 6 months end of this month=oh and she is up tons at night another factor in my ability to parent well.

Her naps too have been 1/2 hour cap nap-hard on me too

Vented enough-sorry ladies!
    ''but'

Default Re: latch and position/what's right

*bump* please

Are you cosleeping to get rest?

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/T102200.asp

Maybe you need to focus more on the elimination diet and see if that helps her disposition? If she is in pain, she will not eat well.

Also, read up on the high needs baby.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/T051200.asp

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/T050400.asp

yes we are focusing on diet big time lately...I have been ill and I think my supply took a hit...she is a different fussy on breast=hard to explain...I am just at this point doing my best wt her tommarrow and well see-diapers are 6 a day

it is just the fussy at breast make nursing so difficult no matter what position I try at this point