Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Consistency of stools

Default Consistency of stools

Posted this on another list and then saw this one...perfect because I have too much milk. Any advice is appreciated.

Hi all. I am beginning to stress out about my DD. This is my second baby. I EBF my first DD and she continued to BF until she was 18 months.

I have OALD. I had it with my first DD as well. I am feeding from one breast at a feeding and that is working pretty well; however, I am increasingly concerned about my daughter's elimination pattern. Her poop is very yellow and curdy, but is very liquidy each time and has been since birth. She often times has explosive stools as well. There has never been any green or dark stools (since meconium) but they are very watery. Should I be concerned about watery stools??? She seems to be gaining weight...we have not been to ped recently but will go in a couple weeks.

BTW...my DD only nurses for about 10 minutes at a feeding, but acts satisfied and if she goes longer, she usually gives A LOT of milk back to me...is 10 min per feeding ok???

Thanks

Default Re: Consistency of stools

Poop-explosions happened at our house, too, and I didn't have OALD. What you describe sounds okay to me, particularly if the baby does not exhibit signs of discomfort and is gaining weight.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I also have OALD and have had explosive poops and watery poops.don't worry about it it's normal and if the weight is OK don't worry for the 10 min. either!

Thanks Ladies. DD is 8 weeks old today and nursing is going great and poops are back to "normal". I am still only offering one breast per feeding; however, she seems to be getting more than enough as she is a little butterball.

Thanks for your help!