Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: help! It's been 18 hours!!

Unhappy help! It's been 18 hours!!

I just had the busiest pm at work; I never peed let alone got to pump and it's been 18 HOURS!!!! I'll be away from DS all day and all pm tomorrow too...am I screwed?
    Help!

Default Re: help! It's been 18 hours!!

Sounds like we work at the same place!! I only worked 4 hours last night, away for 6 with the commute, and we were so busy that I didn't have time to pump either. I thought I'd bust by the time I got out of there!!! I don't have any words of wisdom, just a "I know how you feel" Are you going to see your LO at all today? While you're sleeping maybe you can set the alarm for every couple of hours to help relieve you and/or rebuild or maintain your supply. Sorry to hear you had such a bad night. Hope things get better for you.

Ouch! Are you totally engorged!!!! I think you're going to have to eat into some sleep to pump every couple of hours as AJsMommy said. Is tomorrow going to be just as busy for you? I would do your best to get away a few times for 10-15 min to pump something, even if it's not a lot. Once your back with your LO you may be in for some marathon nursing sessions if your supply has dropped.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Lunch time, smokers break, bathroom breaks....these are good times to get out your electric pump and get some relief! I've had to pump in the car before too

well...
    I had just barely been home from work when I posted the first time...I was in a pretty sorry state. I was supposed to get home around 3am, which is in time for LO's middle of the night snack. But by 6:30 I had missed that one and he didn't wake for his early am meal!! I pumped right after posting (and I only have a hand pump, very unfortunate believe me), slept for an hour, and was off again from 9:30am until 4am the next morning. Then Gramma came and took DS w/o waking me and took him to church so I could sleep (she didn't know, she was trying to help out) GOOD GRIEF! I was supposed to work again that afternoon (another day w/o seeing him?) but somehow I came down with something (called I have to nurse my baby people!!! I'm not ready to be done and you're all drying me up!!!) and asked to be put "on call." Luckily, they didn't call. Enough is enough already!
    DS has nursed a few more times than normal but not as long as usual. He doesn't seem to be unsatisfied but I'm not convinced that my supply is not bunk. I'll just keep going as often as he'll take it...I hope this isn't the end ladies!!!! I'm pretty scared

i hear ya. i wish i could pump and drive at the same time. i have 30 minutes between work and class (I teach) and it takes 30 minutes to drive, and the class is 3 hours, and an hour drive across time home... and after the past few weeks I went from pumping 4-5 ounces on each side, to barely 1 ounce on each side... and we only have 1 storage bag of frozen milk bags left!!!!! At this rate he won't have enough to last through dec. I'm totaly going to have to step it up and going back to pumping mid-night, etc.

I routinely pump in the car....particularly while driving down the freeway. I just know one of these days I'm going to be ticketed for Pumping While Driving. I spend every break, lunch hour and generally the morning commute hooked up to the pump. SIGH. This is the first week in months that I've actually pumped more than I need the following day. A few weeks ago I slacked off my disciplined pumping routine and got a whopping case of mastitis. Learn to love that pump, ladies!

how do you hold the pumpers on yourself and hold the wheel? I am fascinated.

I use the seatbelt yo hold it in place! Not tyhe safest thing in the world to do.

I find you can position your shirt over the flanges pretty good to hold them in place...and cover yourself up. Of course that wont work with a button down shirt. Especially try to find something to put under the bottles to hold them up a little from your lap to make sure they dont pull on your breasts. Once you find a comfortable position it really isn't that bad. I would not recommend it for fast travel, but if you are in traffic and not moving too much it really is a convienent time to do it!