Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drs Just assume

Default Drs Just assume

So DD had her 6 month physical yesterday and some of the questions were so funny! The Dr asked me if I lay her down in the crib with a bottle...

First of all I said she dosent sleep in her crib, second she is breastfed so no bottles.

Then Dr asks me, "Oh, so how many ounces does she drink at once?"

OMG are they for real? Dosent a Dr know anything about BF???

She THEN asks me how many minutes does she feed off each breast, and if I offer both breasts per feed.

At this point at 6 mos, DD can eat from one side in a matter of a few minutes. Sometimes she wants to nusre longer, sometimes both sides...there is no timing of her nursing sessions!!

THEN she asks me how many hours between nursing...I say she eats on demand. Dr asks me, well how many hours apart does she feed, she has a blank look on her face. I just say every 2 hours just to stop the questioning.

I find it sad that some Drs know nothing about breastfeeding, and just ASSUME that we all formula/bottle feed.

I wish all Drs knew more about BF...
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Default Re: Drs Just assume

Hey, you educated her, Mama! Maybe next time a BFing mom comes into the office, the doc won't have a blank look on her face.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Every time we brought Lance to the doctor they also assumed that he was being fed formula. Luckily though when I would tell them he was still getting breastmilk they'd say "oh, that's great!"
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

yup...
    Doctors are fun sometimes

Does she sleep in a crib? Me "WEll she has one" She didn't need to know it was in the basement in peices.

You can start Cereal at 4 months "Well I guess she could start cereal"

Doctor at 18 months you simply must wean her or she will never eat foods.
    Your milk is no good after 6 months anyways.

Hubby said OH MY Did you listen to anything she said after that
    Sorry nope.
    This was a $400 an hour specialst.

I often find myself answering "just to end the questions". But Mommal is right. In certain situations it is IMPORTANT to be the one who can educate. I need to do this more with my doctor. Instead of just jumping to what I know will be an 'acceptable' answer, more or less, to end the questions.
    Nursed for 18 months

I'm pretty lucky. Although my doc and I don't see eye to eye on everything, he lets me know that I am the one in charge and he's there to help me. He has never asked me anything about N's sleeping. He has never asked me anything about N's eating. He has never asked me about milestones. He KNOWS me as a person (I've been a patient for years) and he knows that I am certainly capable of keeping track of where N is supposed to be. He KNOWS that if there is a problem I'll go to him - he doesn't need to hound me. He doesn't believe in weighing and measuring them constantly because he says it just freaks out the parents if they aren't on the standard growth curve. He does it, but he just writes it in the chart and doesn't plot it. He is a "look at the WHOLE person" kind of doctor, instead of getting hung up on little insignificant details. N is healthy. He always gives him a 'once over' when we go in, and then he addresses why it is we're there. He explains everything to me in a way that I walk away understanding exactly what is going on.

omg, sorry for the ramble
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I my peds! She is very supportive and BF her children! I just switched peds though because mine is over an hour to get to, but Ive been to new one (who came highly recommended by several of my bf friends)several times with dd #2 and she has also been great even encourages to bf in room before leaving so dd wont be hungry on way home!! I never stopped to realize how lucky I was!!
    Momma to Two Beautiful Perfect Girls

Mikenzi
    6/7/07
    7lbs 12oz
    and for 1 year

Mikilie
    8/21/09
    7lbs 9oz
    Doing it all over again for round 2

When I went into the hospital due to mastitis, one of the doctors was surprised that I wouldn't be weaning because of it.

Not all docs are like that - I our family doc! At DS's 2-year-old "well baby" visit yesterday (okay, it was a little early, but were there for me anyway so it was convenient) he said to DS "Do you know what a lucky little guy you are that your momma still nurses you?"

Great job educating your doc, but most importantly, great job educating yourself, so that you think about your parenting choices instead of just doing whatever the doc says.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    yup...
    Doctors are fun sometimes

Does she sleep in a crib? Me "WEll she has one" She didn't need to know it was in the basement in peices.

You can start Cereal at 4 months "Well I guess she could start cereal"

Doctor at 18 months you simply must wean her or she will never eat foods.
    Your milk is no good after 6 months anyways.

Hubby said OH MY Did you listen to anything she said after that
    Sorry nope.
    This was a $400 an hour specialst.

Thankfully my doctor got a pleasantly surprised look on his face and was elated that I chose to bf. He absolutely loved it. I've come to realize very few in this small town chose to.
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln