Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: what is satisfied?

Default what is satisfied?

Ok! How do you know your baby is satisfied after a nursing time no matter how long or short it is?

LO is 5 months old-we made it this far-still needing mountians to climb but getting better. She puts EVERYTHING in her mouth even after nursing, sometimes fussy at breast, sometimes takes forever to end feeding esp when sleepy so she naps on me and wakes up really quick-she has been taking cap naps for the past two days-I had to take her off when she is not actively sucking or I dont hear swallowing cause my family needs me or I have to pee. Then she wakes up within 10 mins or so crying=-reoffer breast and she takes me or not. What is a satisifed look after nursing-she nurse ALOT and I mean ALOT- like sometimes every 1/2 hour....their is no consistancy with her and we are still tyring to understand each others cues-I dont like this feeling of walking on egg shells with her wondering if she is "getting enough" her dipaer pee has been 4-6 and poos everyday small or big or other. Her naps are just horrible and she only taking cat ones on me. Do you think she may be needing to start solids or needing a better fill. WE have issues with possible reflux and now alleriges...so that can explain some and her latch and suck is kinda not pitcure perfect by any means. With all this nursing she should be wetting major...no? anyways I go in for a wt today or friday and well see. It is just hard when it hasnt been easy at all and I always seem to fret!!!

any advice encouragment would be good
    oh and some days i "feel full" and others like today wimpy...

go figure

Default Re: what is satisfied?

btw she just seems unsatisfied and nurses just alot...
    ie 1130 then 12 15pm and hasnt slept much a all today
    if its a growth spurt its been going on too long

*bump*

Could it be teething or possibly trying to fight off an illness?
    Do you have a sling you could put her in? Maybe she really wants to be held close to you and nursing is a way she gets that. That might reduce some of the restlessness and fussiness.

When a baby is doing that it's hard to say that they are satisfied with anything at all! You know she's getting enough with diaper count and overall weight gain and growth. Also does she look healthy to you? Meeting milestones?

Solids are probably not the answer since a lot of times they just add more things to do in your schedule and often problems you didn't anticipate. It's still early too!

Some babies have a high need for contact and nurse quite often. There may not be a thing wrong with them and it may have nothing to do with your milk. That's just how they are. If it seems like something is wrong though, investigate further.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Ok! How do you know your baby is satisfied after a nursing time no matter how long or short it is?
    I think the short answer is that you don't. If she fusses and you offer the breast but she refuses it, then hunger probably isn't the issue.

Everything you describe makes me think teething may be the issue. Putting things in her mouth, napping poorly, and a constant need to suckle are all very typical teething signs. It could also be a growth spurt, when many babies dramatically increase their feeding frequency.

Do you think she may be needing to start solids or needing a better fill.
    No. I think solids are just going to add one more issue to the picture- you'll be wondering if she's eating enough/too much solids, or if her behavior is a reaction to something she ate. And since the diaper output you describe is normal, I don't think that "a better fill" is needed.

her latch and suck is kinda not pitcure perfect by any means
    How does nursing feel? Are you experiencing pain or discomfort, or is the issue that you think your latch doesn't look right? A latch can look weird, but still feel fine- and if it feels fine, then it's okay.

With all this nursing she should be wetting major...no?
    Not necessarily. If she's doing a lot of comfort nursing, perhaps to soothe her sore gums, she may not be taking in a huge amount more milk than usual.

oh and some days i "feel full" and others like today wimpy..
    That's okay. Some days your baby takes all you're making, leaving you feeling empty, and others she's not as hungry and leaves more milk behind, giving you that full feeling.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My LO was somewhat like that around 5 months, and is still somewhat like that. I tried everything. I finally took her to the pedi becasue I felt something was wrong. She had an ear infection, and then again she started acting that way at 7 months and she had a UTI. I agree, lots of contact, use a carrier. They are developing so much at that age.

thanks everyone....its just so emotionally hard at times when it doesnt go as "planned" and us moms try so hard to "fi" it you become consumed with your child and everyone one else gets bottom of totum pole syndrome. it makes for a mushy brain and weary. when my baby is so fussy at breat and cries and has been this way since day one...i go into panic mode cause i feel like i am not tending to her...

for ex

this morn my two boys wanted me to tell them a story, i make them up as i gobabt was fussin so i put her on breast and she cried pulled off and on fussed ect ect ect,,,i got in a tizzy and couldnt concentrate on my boys and the story, it was just a mess and we all cried to where they are just frustraed that i cant hang w them when baby is fussin,,,bf is "supposed" to take care of that? and it didnt and i felt rotten...well the day hasnt chaged much and baby is still unhappy at breast-to where my day is consumed w baby and our nursing battle....

life goes on

I'm with you! It's hard...one day at a time, and we will get there!

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK