Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cluster feeding before bed?

Unhappy Cluster feeding before bed?

My two month old has been cluster feeding before bed. She typically starts around 8PM, and pretty much wants to feed until midnight before she will go to bed. I feel as though I am not producing enough for her in the evening. A couple of nights I gave her formula before bed, and she took between 8 and 10oz before she passed out. When I fed her this way, she went to sleep at 9:30PM and slept all night. How can I get her to eat a large amount of breastmilk so she will sleep at around 9PM instead of staying up til midnight in order to consume enough calories? Am I not "letting down?" Am I not producing enough in one sitting? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!

Default Re: Cluster feeding before bed?

I have experienced the same thing and was about to post a thread of my own about it when I saw this one.

My son is 3 months old, and I work full-time. As a result of pumping, I find that I get a much better supply (about twice as much more per hour) in the morning and afternoon versus in the evening. I didn't get confirmation of this until recently (when I started pumping more often for work). He will feed for hours (literally) in the evening, then fall asleep while feeding, but as soon as I move him, he wakes up screaming. It wasn't a big deal while I was on maternity leave, but now that I have to wake up at 5am, I need him to go to sleep earlier. Since I confirmed the evening supply issue, I've been supplementing with some of the milk I've stored so that I can go to bed, but I'm afraid I'll run out and have to switch to formula since he's eating more in a day than I can produce.

I hope you get some good responses, but know that you're definitely not alone!

Cluster feeding in the evening is normal - it doesn't mean that your baby needs to get 8 or 9 ounces at a feeding!!

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Cluster feeding in the evening is normal - it doesn't mean that your baby needs to get 8 or 9 ounces at a feeding!!

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html
    8-9 oz is like feeding your baby an entire Thanksgiving dinner in one go. It's no wonder she passed out- she was so stuffed she probably could barely move.

Just keep on nursing her, and shelve the bottles. Nursing on demand is the fastest way to an adequate milk supply, and your body will eventually learn to make more milk in the evenings. I know it's frustrating!!!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

All of the previous posters have good points - and all I can say is the way I solved the nursing til midnight problem was to nurse her in my bed and have a good book handy (or lightly snooze in between) until she was ready to go to be put to bed for the night. At four and a half months she has finally mellowed out on it and is now going down for the night at around ten p.m. (and sleeping until 8 a.m.).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*glddstgpsy View Post
    My two month old has been cluster feeding before bed. She typically starts around 8PM, and pretty much wants to feed until midnight before she will go to bed. I feel as though I am not producing enough for her in the evening. A couple of nights I gave her formula before bed, and she took between 8 and 10oz before she passed out. When I fed her this way, she went to sleep at 9:30PM and slept all night. How can I get her to eat a large amount of breastmilk so she will sleep at around 9PM instead of staying up til midnight in order to consume enough calories? Am I not "letting down?" Am I not producing enough in one sitting? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!
    You are definitely not alone! My 6 week old is doing this and m going back to work in 2 weeks and that will be so tiring!!!

With my first DD I would pump at night after or while i ate dinner and feed her what I pumped in a bottle for her nite feeding and she slept thru the nite at 6 weeks! I may go back to that with this one because sleep is very important if you have to go to work and pump all day! Then on the weekends or when your off work you can still just nurse but she will be on a schedule and prob still sleep thru the nite! I know that may not be the absolute best solution but it does allow you to sleep and keep her on breastmilk and we didnt have any milk production problems that way!!!
    Momma to Two Beautiful Perfect Girls

Mikenzi
    6/7/07
    7lbs 12oz
    and for 1 year

Mikilie
    8/21/09
    7lbs 9oz
    Doing it all over again for round 2