Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: foamy poop after cereal

Default foamy poop after cereal

So, Nessa tried cereal for the first time on Wednesday morning and had it mixed with breast milk (no water). Wednesday evening same thing. Thursday morning, cereal mixed with 1/2 bm and 1/2 water. Thursday night mixed with all water (plus about 5 drops bm that I was able to hand express - not my forte). This morning cereal with water.

And this morning and more this afternoon - frothy poop that is a bit greenish and is very watery. She does not seem to be uncomfortable at all, but this looks to me like diarrhea, right? She always has pretty loose stools, but this is distinctly different: frothy/bubbly and she'll poop more involuntarily that usual (ie, while I'm changing her), and watery.

She did have a soaking pee diaper right before her afternoon nap, so she is not dehydrated at this point. And no hives or unusual rashes that I can see.

I talked to our nurse and she said to change to barley or oat cereal, but I am inclined to just stop the cereals and give her body a rest for a week or so, and then try veggies instead.

Many of you don't give your babies cereal, but I think it is usually because of constipation or the processing that the cereal gets, rather than diarrhea, right?

Any thoughts or suggestions much appreciated.
    Anna, mama to baby Nessa born on 4/19/09 at 4 lb 13 oz - now she's 18 lbs!
    Loving cloth diapers
    Know someone with breast cancer in southern California who is struggling financially? We help low-income women with breast cancer.
    194 * * * ****140****135

Default Re: foamy poop after cereal

If it were me... I'd stop the cereal all together and wait until she could feed herself - following these guidelines...

(and in case you want a great resource on hand expression - see the end of this page )
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Default Re: foamy poop after cereal

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number4 View Post
    If it were me... I'd stop the cereal all together and wait until she could feed herself - following these guidelines...
    She is actually meeting all of those guidelines, except the pincer grasp (which seems to have some followers, but others don't think you need to wait that long). She's been feeding herself with the spoon much of the time, and I do it sometimes because I love to feed her I'm thinking she just doesn't need to have processed food, and that I should let her clear out her system and then offer her veggies, etc.

BTW - the cereal we gave her is HappyBellies brand (Dr. Sears recommends it apparently)...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number4 View Post
    (and in case you want a great resource on hand expression - see the end of this page )
    This is AWESOME! What a great link - thank you!
    Anna, mama to baby Nessa born on 4/19/09 at 4 lb 13 oz - now she's 18 lbs!
    Loving cloth diapers
    Know someone with breast cancer in southern California who is struggling financially? We help low-income women with breast cancer.
    194 * * * ****140****135