Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: bottle battle - nipple confusion?

Unhappy bottle battle - nipple confusion?

My baby is 2 months old and exclusively breastfeeding. For the first month we were supplementing breastfeeding with formula (once a day) and she had no confusion between breastfeeding and bottle feeding.
    For the past month we didn't use bottle at all. Also, she doesn't use pacifier.
    I'm going back to work in 4 weeks, so we decided to give her breast milk in the bottle, so she can get use to it when I'm gone, but she wouldn't take it anymore.
    We had my husband to give her bottle and also we tried to put her in the carseat and bouncer and distract her attention with toys while giving bottle, but nothing works so far.
    I thought that it is in my baby's best interest to breastfeed only, but now I feel bad that we discontinued bottle feeding.
    I desperately need help in this matter.
    Thank you!

Default Re: bottle battle - nipple confusion?

This is LLL's FAQ on giving a baby a bottle: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/bottle.html You may find the suggtions there helpful.

Are you offering breastmilk or fomrula in the bottle? She might be more accepting of breastmilk since it tastes and smells better. Also, warm or cold, she might prefer a different temperature.

She doesn't nessacarily have to take a bottle; you could have her take ebm or fomrula from a small regular cup, spoon, or eyedropper if need be.

When you are trying to give her bottles, are you still in the house? If she knows you're available, she probably will refuse the bottle.

Try not to panic; I'm sure she won't starve herself when you go back to work. I have heard of many babies who accepted a bottle when they got hungry enough.

I don't have any experience with bottles at all, but there is some really great information in the links below to help get your breastfed baby to accept a bottle:

A situation has come up where I need to feed my baby from a bottle. Can you help?

Tips for Offering a Bottle

Offering Your Breastfed Baby a Bottle

Bottle Feeding the Breastfed Baby Resource Links

How to bottle-feed the breastfed baby
    ...tips for a breastfeeding supportive style of bottle feeding

Your little one just decided she likes it straight from the tap, as my DH says. All is not lost ... you guys will find a method that works for you. She may even be old enough at 3 months to use an alternative feeding method to bottles ... see:

Alternative Feeding Methods

Hope this helps!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I'm sorry you are going through this stress right now! It's hard enough to think about dealing with going back to work. Add in the huge worry about whether your baby will eat comfortably while you are gone and that's just too much.
    This can be solved, though, so try to relax and take comfort in the knowledge that 4 weeks is ALOT of time.

Your LO may have decided that she no longer likes the kind of nipple that she once did on a bottle. Have you tried a variety of kinds? If a bottles/nipples don't work, you can also try sippy cups. Avent makes a soft-spout sippy cup that some people (us included!) have found can work really well with EBM and young nurslings. Even beyond this, you can get creative and offer milk in a little cup - which you hold and assist with, obviously! This 'cup' can be a little cup that you typically would measure and take cough medicine from, or a capcover to a bottle or anything small like that!

You mention that you have tried having DH give your DD the bottle. Are you COMPLETELY out of sight and hearing range? For some lucky babes who are so used to breast only, mom literally has to be OUT OF THE HOUSE for baby to be willing to take an alternate delivery source!

For now, I'd suggest that you keep trying - try some of these suggestions - and just keep at it 1 or 2 times per day. Your baby will get it...but it may take lots of effort and lots of patience. If you can at all try to relax (oh, i know that's hard!) through this, that will help. Your baby can and will sense your tension -- and then, to help her ease the feelings of her resulting tension, she will want YOU and want to nurse all the more.... so try to relax and keep at it.... and keep us posted with how it's going. So many of us have been through this very thing. I'm sure you'll get lots of feedback and suggestions!!
    good luck...............
    -linda

edited to add: well, i took so long typing that that you already got some of these suggestions above! good!!

Thank you all for suggestions and advices.
    We will definitely try everything to make it work.
    Wish me luck!
    Maggie

Quote Originally Posted by Mummy
    Have you tried water and see if she drinks that?
    I don't think it's a good idea to give a 2 mo water.

Quote Originally Posted by Mummy
    Have you tried NUK teats? They are made by gerber in the USA, the latex ones are the best for breastfeed babies, lots of people claim they suck on them like on the breast. They work for alot of people.

I have lots of NUKs that we're done using. We had really good luck with those when J refused other kinds. If you want to try a few, PM me and we'll exchange details so I can mail you a few.

We're all wishing you good luck!!
    -linda

The thing about water is I have just heard it should not be offered at all before 4-6 mo, and even then only a couple of oz per day. http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...aby-water.html

i have the same problem with my 3 1/2 mo old. its a real battle if i try to give him the bottle when he wants to nurse but he will take the playtex nurser with the latex naturalatch nipple (fast flow) from someone else and occasionally me if it has warm breastmilk in it. i used a bottle occasionally starting at 3 weeks but it he didnt start getting real picky until about 2 months which makes me think he simply was not hungry enough to want it. trying to feed him when he's a little sleepy helps as well as in a more reclined position similar to when nursing. when bottlefeeding he goes alot longer in between (3 hours or so). it can be difficult to figure out when he's actually hungry or just wants to nurse in which case a bottle will definately be refused.
    i understand your concern. i was afraid to leave him with a caretaker for more than three hours because i was afraid he wouldn't eat. but he will take it, just more fluid, less often. good luck!

Thumbs up Re: bottle battle - nipple confusion?

Hi Moms!
    We have good news here!
    We have made progress in bottle feeding, but surprise - unlike other babies- my daughter took bottle from me. At first my husband was strugling to give bottle to her while I was away from house. It didn't work out very good. When I came back home I decided to give it a try and she took bottle from me.
    We used Medela orthodontic nipple - avaliable in stores as package "Breastmilk Storage & Feeding Set". Also I gave her freshly pumped milk.
    Thank you everybody for your advices and support.
    Babies are unpredictable!
    Regards for all Moms!
    Maggie