Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: domperidone during pregnancy?

Default Re: domperidone during pregnancy?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    Can you encourage her to write Dr Hale? (or have a LLL leader do it?) I mean that post WAS a question from a leader....

Or maybe Dr Newman. He generally responds very quickly to emails.

Doctors and pharmacists know next to nothing about meds. Nothing. Oh that is so scary. Good luck mama. I hope that you can convince her.
    Yikes! And thanks for the link. I have emailed Dr Newman and hope he responds. I might try Dr Hale too. Scary, yes, even if a baby seems OK, I don't see how we can know a drug has no effect. I also posted my question on kellymom, one of the posters said they use it all the time for morning sickness in Belgium, they can get it OTC!
    Last edited by @llli*monika.h; October 3rd, 2009 at 01:51 AM.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Default Re: domperidone during pregnancy?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLmama-julie View Post
    Wow, that is surprising! There's not a whole lot you can do to increase milk supply during pregnancy if it goes down. Most of the galactogogues are not safe while pg anyway. Prolactin levels are so high when you're pg (to maintain the pregnancy) that not much can get that milk supply up. The signal for your body to start producing milk is a big drop in prolactin after the placenta is delivered, so as long as your prolactin levels are high, it is hard to get milk production up. Of course there are some mothers who are exceptions to this and produce plenty of milk, but I think for most moms, their supply drops dramatically.
    Yeah, this totally makes sense to me. I don't see how we can expect to trick nature into keeping a full milk supply right up to the end, but this is what she is hoping for.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.