Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Insurance Companies that don't pay for breast pump

Angry Insurance Companies that don't pay for breast pump

My insurance company informed me that they will not pay for a breast pump unless it is "medically necessary", i.e. for a child who cannot be fed any other way. To add insult to injury, they informed me that they would not be covering a breast pump just for my "convenience". WTF is convenient about pumping?

I starting a list of health insurance companies that will not cover breast pumps. Please add yours if applicable

Cigna

Default Re: Insurance Companies that don't pay for breast pump

I didn't know any insurance company would cover those! 'course, I have been uninsured for over ten years, so nothing is ever covered for me anyway...

I hear you can rent them from hospitals, though, if you are in need of one. WIC covers them as well, at least in Texas (don't know if the WIC program is different state to state or not).

Wow...I don't think I would have ever thought to even ask the insurance company. I doubt mine covers it since it cost us almost $3000 for the birth!
    with my Best Friend
    Proud Mommy to my 3 girls
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    "Peanut" 02/26/09 birth weight 5lbs 2 oz
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

Firm believer in the glory of "MIRACLE GROW"

my insurance company would only cover a manual pump, which isnt bad compared to not having anything at all. I was told at first since my baby was in teh NICU that an electric pump could be covered, but then they denied it. Which was fine, I would have hardly used it anyway. Just a bummer for those who do need it though.
    's to you.

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

I think it depends on the way your individual plan is written rather than a default by each insurance company. If your employer, or group plan, wants to include a pump, they can have that added into the coverage levels.

My coverage through Great-West does not include lactation consultants or pumps.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    with pp. It's the plan, not the insurance company.

Ours doesn't have pumps written into health insurance plan, because they have a lactation program. We could get a PISA for $100, got a tote, a book on BF, and a CD on BF from LLL. DH works for a giant company.
    it's actually the group AND the plan to which you belong, not the INS comp as a whole, there are a handful of Cigna plans that do cover pumps, unfortunately, you'd be better off starting a lost of plans/groups that DO cover a pump since the list of those that do not would be never ending...
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

CIGNA is a pain. They won't cover. MassHealth (depending on the sub-coverage:network helath, ect) will supply you with a complementary pump, but will not reimburse you. Which isn't helpful after you buy a pump (that is non-returnable after opened and used) and it takes 4-6 weeks to get in the mail. This would be good to know before you have the baby and is lost in a book of information about the insurance.